Is my housing good for my piggies?

• Thread starter Thread starter ziggyzebra
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ziggyzebra

Hello all!

As you might see from my previous posts on the 'Behaviour' page, I am a new guinea pig owner. I have some question regarding my piggies cage.
I was told to get a Zoozone 1 cage for Spooks (6 weeks) and Moop (9 weeks). The dimensions are: Overall Size 72 cm (28.25") L x 46 cm (18") W x 31.5 cm (12.4") Total Height (copied from the official site) - but did away with the wire grill, plastic feeder, and hay guard because it was a bit crowded. I bought the boys some accessories: Moop has chosen a wicker tube for his bed, and Spooks has chosen the grass/sisal house i bought for his bed. However, as i've looked on the internet it seems the way forward is those 'C&C' cages...I don't understand exactly what they are. Do all the owners on this site have them? Is the Zoozone cage any good or am I confining them too much? They get at least 2 hours of floor play a day (in a generous size bedroom) and lots and lots of love :)

Can someone help?

Thanks

Vicky xx

I hope i have read this right but i get the width to be just less than 2 1/2 ft wide so this is too small for 2 piggies. Its recommended that 2 piggies have a minimum space of 4ftwide by 2ft deep.

Quite a few of the members on here have C & C cages mainly for indoor use. They are very good as you can design your piggies house how you want. Some people on here have some great designs. I'm sure people will post pics to help you get an idea of what C & C is.

My piggies are in Hutches in the garage at the moment until the weather gets warmer.

My girls three living together are in a 5ft4inch by 2ft deep hutch with attached run. Murphy Neutered boar and Romey have a 4ftx2ft with attached run, and the two boys have a 5ft by 3ft deep hutch again with attached 5ftx5ft run.

The bigger space you can provide the better.

Lindsay x

Your cage sounds very small. Piggies like to run and jump in there cage so will deffo require more space Lindsay is right for 2 it should be 4ft by 2ft.
A lot of these places that sell cages say it's suitable fo guinea pig's so is there fault not yours. x

Thank you both of you!
I feel really mean now that I've (unintentionally) got them a small cage. So I should get the C&C making stuff...I think i've seen the mesh cubes in B&Q.
I feel really sad now actually. And Spooks is having a really hard time settling, keeps nipping me when I pick him up for a cuddle. Makes me cry. :'(

Vicky xx

In metric - the minimum cage size should be 1.60m x 0.60m, so one size up from yours. Of course, always plus extra floor time now and again.

o dnt worry it is the shops fault they lie about the size cages should bei think it is jst away oftrying 2 sell them
i find it repulsive really like they should be telling ou the exact sizes for how many pigs.
I really think they should get a clue.
They should be alright in their cage for now jst make sure you get a bigger 1 soon dnt worry 2 much you obviulsy didnt do it ententionly however you spell it lol.
Anz x

Yeah don't wory to much they are only young just get a bigger one as soon as you can x

Thanks Anz and Abnoba...I'm really trying to do my best by my piggies but i'm skint at the moment...

Anz - do you have a C&C cage? Does yours have a roof? I've managed to locate some mesh cubes and i know a signmaker to get some coroplast off, but i'm confused how to make a cover for it. It's a necessary thing to be honest, since my family own cats.

Any ideas?

It's not cheap to have animals, but i'd rather spend it on them than on rubbish for me. :) xx

No I don't and haven't seen one with a lid either but sure you can make a lid.

Scooby Si made a fab cage which is posted on here somewhere think it's cage so far. Check that out for an idea.

If it's just for 2 piggies a Nero 4 would be ok which is already made. xx

wel you can get the c+c parts from bnq and chloroplast form sign makers if you have cats then i would recomend putting a roof on cuz u dnt want them eating them or palying with them always not very nice well obvioulsy.
There are some threads on here about cc cages so if you want to look and check them out there should be some more ages and no i dnt but i no alot about them i have hutches in a shed and a free range area made out of a run so soz about not having 1 i just buy alot of very exspensive hutches lol.
And some indoor ones for illnnesses i am not actully aloud to have a cc cage i have cat anddog so not a good idea.
Anz x

I have 2 bouncy dogs. I also have 4 girls that live in a 15.5sq ft C&C cage. The house is pretty open, so their cage has a roof. The roof is basically a sheet of weld mesh with plastic liners to protect my walls. You can also put the cage up on stands if that helps any - though I doubt it will with cats!

We bought a roll of wire mesh from Homebase and have fixed that to part of our C&C. The rest has either got fixed grids or grids that are hinged onto the rest of the c&c. We then use clips to make sure that the pets we have (cat and dog) cannot get the lid off the pen.

I've posted some piccies on here and can send you some more if it helps.

Carrie x

Carrie!
That would be very helpful thanks! I'm having no joy with the bloody correx! Found a lady on ebay who sells grids at 1.80 each. I need at least 14...argh! They do need a bigger space though...they are only babies at the mo, so it's not an urgent thing, but hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll get a house sorted. If you would send me some pictures I would love that...:) xx

I have a C&C for my indoor girls at the moment, but I will have to swap to a proper cage as I can't make a secure enough lid. We have a cat >:D And although she's not interested in the pigs I would prefer to have a sturdier cage than a C&C. C&Cs are fab though if you can think of a way to keep the cats away!!!

i had a small cage for milo and ive now replaced it the C&C he loves it so much and ive never seen him pop corn so much

its 4.5 ft by 2.3 foot. and its 2 levels I'm so pleased with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back