• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is my guinea pig sick or does she have allergies?

t3ss4_m

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question about my guinea pigs health, one of them had started coughing from about a week ago, I decided to let it play out and see if it was because of eating too fast or something, but now she has started to get that crackly breathing that guinea pigs get when they are sick, she was breathing like that for about an hour, but now she's stopped and has been fine for about 3 hours, those are her only symptoms, besides from that she seems fine, and is eating and drinking per usual. I have recently put more hay trays in their cage, and I'm wondering if it IS a respiratory infection or if it's allergies or something else like that? If it is a respiratory infection should I take them to a vet or is there something I can do to stop it since it still seems to be newish.

Attachments

• 20231203_143547.webp
    20231203_143547.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 4
Sorry to hear you have a potentially poorly pig.

I think our official forum experts are likely (hopefully) still asleep as it's 5am here in the UK, but if she was mine I'd be getting her to a vet. It's worth having a root around on the forum guides as well if you haven't done so already, they're a great resource.

Pigs are fantastic at hiding issues so I wouldn't necessarily take her behaviour at face value - if in doubt, a vet check is always your best option. The home remedies for respiratory infections that I'm aware of focus on symptom management rather than tackling the actual issue so I wouldn't like to comment on that count, although again personally I would be skipping straight to the vet rather than trying to treat at home; better to confirm the issue and fix it properly before it gets worse imo, and it's best to let the vet will see her symptoms untreated so they can give the most accurate diagnosis.

With regards to the hay, have you changed the supplier or type recently? Also, have you been using any aerosols or candles etc. around them?

Sorry to hear you have a potentially poorly pig.

I think our official forum experts are likely (hopefully) still asleep as it's 5am here in the UK, but if she was mine I'd be getting her to a vet. It's worth having a root around on the forum guides as well if you haven't done so already, they're a great resource.

Pigs are fantastic at hiding issues so I wouldn't necessarily take her behaviour at face value - if in doubt, a vet check is always your best option. The home remedies for respiratory infections that I'm aware of focus on symptom management rather than tackling the actual issue so I wouldn't like to comment on that count, although again personally I would be skipping straight to the vet rather than trying to treat at home; better to confirm the issue and fix it properly before it gets worse imo, and it's best to let the vet will see her symptoms untreated so they can give the most accurate diagnosis.

With regards to the hay, have you changed the supplier or type recently? Also, have you been using any aerosols or candles etc. around them?
no I stopped using candles and scented things when I got the piggies, the hay they're using is still the same, it is a rather dusty hay though, which I though could be affecting something, but in that case I will be taking her to the vet on Monday when it opens again, thank you 😊

Fingers crossed it's just a bit of dustier hay 🤞If you can, get a recording of the sounds you're concerned about before you go - if she's anything like mine she'll put on a good show of being fine for the vet 😂

Please do see a vet. You don’t ever want to take any chances with potential respiratory issues.
True allergies are rare.

In the meantime you should switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh her daily each morning. This enables you to more closely monitor that she is eating enough hay. Hay makes up three quarters of what they need to eat in a day but you cannot monitor intake by eye. They can appear to be eating hay but in fact aren’t eating enough to maintain their weight (weight loss often being a sign of illness). If that occurs you must step in with syringe feeding a recovery feed or mushed pellets.

Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

It's definitely worth seeing a vet. Pigs are more likely to have a respiratory infection than an allergy, and they can have a respiratory infection without sounding crackly all the time. Because they can escalate in a hurry it's definitely worth getting respiratory ailments checked out quickly! Hope your piggie feels much better soon and it's easily treatable!

Went to the vet today, and turns out Terra does have a respiratory infection, but we caught it very early on, the coughing was caused by a build up of mucus in her lungs, and we think she may be susceptible because she IS a rescue piggy and may have had it before and it's just came back, we also got her some better hay, which is less dusty because that could have been what set her off, Nora, her friend, is perfectly fine though, so hopefully she doesn't get it too. 😓

Back