Is My Guinea Pig Male Or Female

Leslie8190

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just barely bought my little “guy” here but I don’t know “his” gender. The person I got him from didn’t say. I want to get him a friend because after doing some research people said that it is better when they are kept in pairs. Is that true? Thank you so much for your help.

BFBA1BFC-D373-4D65-8E7F-3FEDC24EA803.webp

8866D6CE-31AE-418E-83CE-FE389A0183D8.webp

52DBA5B2-0636-419B-9416-7999939123E1.webp

I just barely bought my little “guy” here but I don’t know “his” gender. The person I got him from didn’t say. I want to get him a friend because after doing some research people said that it is better when they are kept in pairs. Is that true? Thank you so much for your help.

View attachment 76375

View attachment 76376

View attachment 76377

Hi and welcome!

You've definitely got a boy!

Guinea pigs are group animals; they are not wired to live on their own. Their social interaction is a lot more differentiated than previously assumed, as recent research has shown. Please also double check the gender of any other piggy before you stage introductions.
Even when two boars that are not character matched at a good rescue fall out during their puberty, they are much happier living side by side because of the constant interaction and stimulation through the bars than if they were on their own.

You may find these guides here informative and helpful:
Companionship
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.

No I’m not from the UK but thank you for asking I’m already looking around for rescues around my area. :)
I’m sure a small animal rescue local to you will have some spare knocking about or give you contact details of a supplier :)

View attachment 76375

View attachment 76376

View attachment 76377
You've defiantly got yourself a boy! Guinea pigs are group animals so you will have to find this little guy a companion preferably from a rescue. I suggest getting your boy neutered and adopting a sow as opposite sex pairs are more compatible and are less likely to fight xx

lol, I thought that was a strange way to say that a rescue might have some piggies to adopt or put you in touch with a breeder!
Trust me eh! :lol!:
There was a thread with someone asking about cage spare parts. Only I can get the two mixed up... :))

Back