Is my cage big enough?

Oreo and Cream Cracker

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! So I currently house two female piggies in a 3x3 c&c cage with a 1x3 loft. I have been thinking about introducing another piggy to the herd a lot recently. It would be a female probably young so like 8-12 weeks. Would this cage size be suitable for three sows and if not how big would it have to be. Thank you!

For three sows, you would want to aim for about 13 square feet. Assuming the cage is 110cm x 110cm, this comes in at about 12 square feet. Ideally, you would want to expand your cage to a 2x5 C&C cage or larger. Because you already have a 1x3 loft, you could consider bringing it down at adding it to the end to make a 4x3 C&C cage, which would be a great size for three girls and would mean you wouldn't have to purchase more materials. I did something similar when I adopted a third piggy. I had a 2x4 C&C cage with a 2x2 loft, so I ended up taking it down and making a 2x6. My current cage is a 4x5 made of a 2x5, 2x4 and 2x2 base taped together (you can see in this photo where I joined it).
Hope this helps!
Guinea pig cage updated.webp
20210911_081141 (2).jpg

A 3x3 is fine for two sows, but would be too small for three. You would need a 4x3 or a 5x2 (depending on how you wanted to configure it) to add in another piggy
Upper levels do not count towards the cage size, so the loft cannot be counted.

If you wish to add another piggy, then the safest way to do so is via the help of a rescue centre So you can ensure your two piggies will accept a newcomer

For three sows, you would want to aim for about 13 square feet. Assuming the cage is 110cm x 110cm, this comes in at about 12 square feet. Ideally, you would want to expand your cage to a 2x5 C&C cage or larger. Because you already have a 1x3 loft, you could consider bringing it down at adding it to the end to make a 4x3 C&C cage, which would be a great size for three girls and would mean you wouldn't have to purchase more materials. I did something similar when I adopted a third piggy. I had a 2x4 C&C cage with a 2x2 loft, so I ended up taking it down and making a 2x6. My current cage is a 4x5 made of a 2x5, 2x4 and 2x2 base taped together (you can see in this photo where I joined it).
Hope this helps!
View attachment 191692
View attachment 191691
Thanks for the help! I’ll have a look at extending.

A 3x3 is fine for two sows, but would be too small for three. You would need a 4x3 or a 5x2 (depending on how you wanted to configure it) to add in another piggy
Upper levels do not count towards the cage size, so the loft cannot be counted.

If you wish to add another piggy, then the safest way to do so is via the help of a rescue centre So you can ensure your two piggies will accept a newcomer
Thanks for the help I’ll have a look at extending and try to find a rescue that would be able to help

Back