• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is my boy impacted?

• Thread starter Thread starter boysmum
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boysmum

Hi everyone,

I've been reading with interest the topics on impaction. One of my boars has been really smelly lately and I decided to take the plunge and investigate his pouch. I opened up the folds (shaped like a half donut) and there was some soft greyish, light brownish matter. It was very soft. I gently swabbed around with a cotton bud and vaseline but no lump as such came out, , just smeary marks on the bud. My thinlking is that this was probably normal residue of the soft nutritious poop. I didn't want to stress him out too much, just wanted a quick look and to get familiar with the pouch. Thing is, my piggy (named Captain) is a self black and his skin is black so it makes it difficult to see inside anyway.

Looked at my other boar, Davey and he was as clean as a whistle. Not a trace of anything. His skin is nice and pale so I can see easily inside.

All the articies say that the pouch is quite deep. Is it? I could only see about 1cm of depth.

I would really appreciate some guidance as I am scared to poke too far. One more query, articles say to gently squeeze the lump out. Does this mean squeezing from the top or the bottom ie from underneath the lump or above the lump? Is vaseline the right thing to use? Books say mineral oil. Is this like olive oil? I found the vaseline a bit cloggy and wondered if the olive oil would be better. What lubricant is best for this type of job?

My boys are young, about 8 months old. I would be surprised if impaction was an issue yet, but I have never seen Captain reach down and take poops from his pouch whereas I always see Davey doing it.

Sounds just like normal pouch contents, I usually find everything but the kitchen sink up there ;D

I'm sure others will be along soon who have experience of impacted bums who can reassure you :)

Thanks Bev,

I'll have another look tonight and see what he's got up there today!

Did you receive my email re your boys? I sent it on Monday am. How are they?

impacted bums ( glad I've had my lunch lol) you would firstly normally notice a swelling like he has big pom poms on inspection gulp! you will find the normal size of the butt is enlarged and filled with a most foul smelling gunk, you can in some cases actually see a bulge of this mass if you can get a tissue and gently try rolling the skin back over the lump, but to be honest if any real doubt give him a warm bath and see if anything floats out I tend to masssage his butt under water to relases anything if anything does come out then it probably is impacted and might need doing more often, I have had pigs that needed doing every day for months then they did'nt need doing again for months only then to restart again so always keep an eye on them even if you think its gone away by the way is the most foul smell on earth so be warned

oh gosh yes! LOL Is really foul!

With Tonni I can feel from his lower tummy if he is impacted as he will make a noise and also I can feel the difference - usually a lump :)

I then kinda gently press from there and then it soons glides out - such a big, smelly ball of poop!

bev said:
Sounds just like normal pouch contents, I usually find everything but the kitchen sink up there ;D

I'm sure others will be along soon who have experience of impacted bums who can reassure you :)

lmfao@ the kitchen sink ;D ;D ;D

and yup its the worst smell ive ever encounted ( apart from my dads socks etc that is)

As they get older the spasming that pushes out the poops, gets 'looser' (muscles) and so becomes like lazy.. That make sense? :)

Another thing I have noticed that Tonni's poops are sometimes REALLY soft, so it seems they gather up ad stick together. Age problems

Is that called the Peristaltic wave that us humans have - or should I say as my daughter calls them/us Fewmans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back