Is Johnson's Baby Detangling Conditioner Spray Safe For Guinea Pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilly's Piggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 3 month old Sheltie sow is a devil for messing up her rear end and getting her coat all tangled and knotted, they are only small tangles but combing them out is still painful for her, being so young I don't want her to absolutely hate being groomed for the rest of her life, I'm trying to be as careful and gentle as possible but sometimes it's not enough and I accidentally catch a knot. I've been looking for some detangling spray or conditioner for small animals/guinea pigs but I'm having no luck finding any, I've been told the Johnson's sensitive baby/toddler range is safe for Guinea Pigs so I've bought a bottle of 'Johnson's no more tangles conditioner spray for easy combing' and I'm hoping to try it on her rear. I do trim her coat on her bottom but she still manages to get urine stuck in there and tangle it up, she likes to lay in one spot and pee and it's annoying, I also wash her bottom half in plain warm water once a week. I want to use some kind of product as a leave in, to prevent tangles, will this be OK or is there something else out there that is better and safe? If it is safe to use, am I alright to leave the spray in, or should I wash it out after getting rid of the tangles?

This spray is soap free, just for your reference the ingredients are:
Aqua, Amodimethicone, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Dipropylene Glycol, Trideceth 12, Cetrimonium Chloride, Acetic Acid, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Parfum.

Hi there. I personally wouldn't use Johnsons baby/child products on my pigs, but then again, I wouldn't use them on my children either as I think they contain too many harmful chemicals (e.g. above 'Parfum' could be anything). I would use Gorgeous Guineas Posh n Go conditioning shampoo for a bum bath as this helps detangle and keeps it tangle free and I'd just trim a little shorter too.

I do use johnsons baby shampoo for my ' Heinz 57' guinea pig Maisy ( she has sort of medium length hair) and I find it works better and keeps the hair around her grease gland less messy.
I haven't tried the spray , I think it's down to personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back