Is it to hot

Lauraarse03

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I have to work 10 hours days right now it’s about 85° outside. I have three guinea pigs they always have cool water. I have a fan on them at all times and I also froze a few water bottles and then I put them in socks so they can lean against them will that be OK while I’m away at work? I don’t wanna worry that my guinea pigs are overheating while on the way, I have water bottles in there and I also have bowls of cold water if they need it is that OK?

Thank you so much for the guide below. I have read that and I do know a good amount of information on taking care of guinea pigs in the heat. I just get extra nervous when I’m not home because usually I can check in on them a lot and when I’m not home I can’t so I want to make sure that they’re going to be OK until my husband comes home. They have a wide open cage. They have three frozen bottles that I put cloth around so they can lean on. They have cold water in their water bottle and cold water in bowls. I check their ears. Their ears aren’t too hot. I know that they regulate the temperature through their ears. They are laying down on their side but they’re OK they’re eating they’re getting up when they see me they’re jumping around I just get really nervous. Don’t want my poor babies to get heat stroke. Will me dunking them in room temperature water make them comfortable for a little while when I have to leave.?

Thank you so much for the guide below. I have read that and I do know a good amount of information on taking care of guinea pigs in the heat. I just get extra nervous when I’m not home because usually I can check in on them a lot and when I’m not home I can’t so I want to make sure that they’re going to be OK until my husband comes home. They have a wide open cage. They have three frozen bottles that I put cloth around so they can lean on. They have cold water in their water bottle and cold water in bowls. I check their ears. Their ears aren’t too hot. I know that they regulate the temperature through their ears. They are laying down on their side but they’re OK they’re eating they’re getting up when they see me they’re jumping around I just get really nervous. Don’t want my poor babies to get heat stroke. Will me dunking them in room temperature water make them comfortable for a little while when I have to leave.?

What temperature is the room?
If the room is kept cool and you’re taken measures to do so (keeping windows closed, blinds closed etc), those are the important steps to take.

Please do not dunk them in water - it won’t help them and can be very unsafe

OK I just wasn’t sure if putting like a little bit of water on them would call them down I know they don’t cool down like we do I just wasn’t sure if they’re for being wet would make them more comfortable that’s all and the rooms about 75-80 but I have the fan on at all times they have cold water at all times. I put ice bottles in their cage so they can lean against them. I’m constantly checking their ears to make sure they’re not burning hot. Like I said, they’re not lethargic or anything but they are laying down trying to stay cool but once one of them starts running around the other ones get up and start running also so I’m assuming that’s a good sign

No it won’t cool them down.

So that converts to 23-26 degrees Celsius. It’s a little out of their comfort range but it depends whether you’ve always had those temperatures. They can get used to a gradual increase over a few days.

if they ignore the frozen bottles, then they are not feeling hot.

Be careful that the fan is not pointing directly at them, and also ensure the fan is not just blowing around hot air (it can make it worse).

Back