• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is it time to say goodbye? :(

• Thread starter Thread starter Clover_kins
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clover_kins

Clover has been having kidney troubles for such a long time now (chronic problems on and off since December). Just this weekend she was diagnosed with Hemorrhagic cystitis (she was bleeding a lot when she urinated). That quickly cleared up with antibiotics but the vet said her bladder felt hard. She went to have a scan, and it turns out her bladder wall is 5mm thick (when it should be like a membrane). This is stopping one of her kidneys from working properly.

The vet who did the scan, said 4-6 weeks on antibiotics to completely clear the infection (which i thought sounded too easy). Then the vet who clover usually sees, said if the bladder wall is scar tissue, It's not going to get better and still block her kidney. His main concern is whether she is still eating (i think he'd put her to sleep if she wasn't eating.. and i think he is very doubtful about her anyway)

Now from my point of view! Clover is not herself. I thought she was slowing down in her old age (she's 7yrs & 3mths) but when she had an anti-inflammatory injection, she seemed to perk up. She was squeaking at me very loud when i went to see her and she hadn't done that in a long time :( It made me think maybe she is in a lot of pain. She is eating but being very fussy (apart from her hay, which she doesn't stop eating ever!). It's very annoying that her favourite is broccoli & I've just been told its very high in calcium, So it's a no no :( (she's had stones on and off this year).

I really don't know what to do. Put her through 6 weeks of antibiotics (which she gets very, very stressed out about- during and in general. Since she's been having them, when i put my hand in the cage, she nips me to start with. This isn't like her) Only to find out that it is scarring (which deep down i think that it is, seeing as she's had urinary problems for so long). Or maybe make her better for a while? but if I'm truthful (and also, i feel it's what the vet thinks) she's only going to get more urinary problems because they just keep coming back. Do you think they reoccur because she's never had a long enough course of antibiotics? (therefore 6 weeks of antibiotics will make her completely better?).

I hope someone can help me. In the past, my animals have gone on their way by themselves. It's so hard trying to work out what's best to do :'(
Nici

Oh dam :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Nici i'm so so sorry, gee um i'd have a good chat to the vets and then i'm afraid it's totally up to you, you know your little baby the best :smitten: :smitten:
I'm sending you heaps and heaps of hugs to help you and lots of piggie kisses from Duke as well :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Poor little girl, please give her gentle cuddles and kisses from us too, you sweet little one :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks so much for your words :)

I keep talking to clover and asking her what i should do (i don't get that much of a response!) she just looks all bright eyed and bushy tailed (what there is of a tail). She just doesn't look poorly, i think it's what's making it so hard.

Can guineas have organ transplants? *sigh*. I just don't want to be dragging out her life if she is in pain.

I've read this with interest as my 2 year old piggy Wilbur has had recurrent bleeding when weeing but no stones.  
He never squeaks in pain, has a great appetite (tho' he still needs to regain the weight he lost) & he's drinking (he didn't drink at all when it first started).  He's had 3 courses of antibiotics, the longest for 10 days.  Fingers crossed, atm he's doing ok & i've seen no blood for about 3 weeks now.  I too am wondering if it's recurring because the antibiotics aren't given for long enough.  :-\

I'm in no position to advise what you should do, tho i can sympathise  :(
As Glynis has said there's only you who knows her & i'm sure you'll do the right thing for her
Thinking about you & give Clover a :-* from us

Niki, make sure the antibiotics clear the infection up completely. I don't want the same happening to another piggie. This wall thickening thing sounds irreversible. Have they scanned for a tumour or other bladder problems? Clover had that a few months ago (mainly for stones) The scan said there were no stones, but she passed a huge one a few days later (they said it must have been in her ureter already).

The vet suggested some watered down pure fruit juice, so clover would drink more. I've put some in a seperate bowl, i've seen her drink some but only once. Check for vegetables high in calcium! I had no idea brocolli could have been making clover worse :(

Good luck and thank you :)

Clover_kins said:
Niki, make sure the antibiotics clear the infection up completely. I don't want the same happening to another piggie. This wall thickening thing sounds irreversible. Have they scanned for a tumour or other bladder problems? Clover had that a few months ago (mainly for stones) The scan said there were no stones, but she passed a huge one a few days later (they said it must have been in her ureter already).

The vet suggested some watered down pure fruit juice, so clover would drink more. I've put some in a seperate bowl, i've seen her drink some but only once. Check for vegetables high in calcium! I had no idea brocolli could have been making clover worse :(

Good luck and thank you :)

He's never been scanned. I was going to ask for that should it happen again :( The first time he was "examined" he wheeked in pain & my lord there was soo much blood, i thought something had gotten into his hutch & killed him. He didn't eat nor drink so i syringed him food & water & gave him 1/2 a vit C pill daily. The 2 bouts after he ate/drank but he's not gaining the weight he lost very quickly :( He's cheery in himself & to look at him you'd not know anything was wrong with him ('cept he's slender) & he's at the front of his hutch wheeking with the rest of them for his veggies, which he polishes off with gusto.
I didn't know about broccoli either, makes me wonder if he knows cos on the rare occasion he leaves anything it's the brocolli ;D He won't be getting any more from now on, thanks for that. O0

Good Luck with Clover :)

Hi love, i know you're going to the vets with Clover all our very very best :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
We support you no matter course you take, remember to make the decision on what you do in your own time love O0
Awwwww cute little Clover, sending you lots of gentle piggie kisses and cuddles from us both :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Awwwww I'm so very sorry. You will know in yourself when the time is right. Clover will tell you too.

I have also had this dilemma with Ton when he's at his lowest which has been a lot. A decision has been made then he makes a total turn around..

Here for you always :smitten: :smitten:

kellyandpiggies♥ said:
I have also had this dilemma with Ton when he's at his lowest which has been a lot. A decision has been made then he makes a total turn around..

I know exactly how you feel. Clover was all happy today! It makes me feel like posting this message is uncalled for. But then tomorrow, she may be down again...

At the moment, i'm thinking keep medicating her. My vet said the other vet seems to think the thickening is because of the recent problems. Unless clover seems really poorly, I think we'll stick out the antibiotics.

Thank you everyone for your help and love and cuddles!

and kelly, best of luck with uncle ton, clover sends her love!
Nici :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back