Is It Possible To Create An Outdoor Run For The Winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruby Inferno

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, my piggies live in an outdoor hutch, some newspaper on its roof, topped off with a fitted waterproof cover. They have plenty of hay to sleep in and keep warm.

Problem is, I have literally no room indoors or in any sort of outdoor building for piggies' exercise time. My garage is jampacked with stuff, my shed is definitely not suitable for piggy accomodation, and my house has no extra room whatsoever.

I could eventually clear up my garage (not used for cars), but life is busy and it would be at least February before I could get around to making any sort of space. I don't want the piggies to have to wait that long.

I am worried because my piggies do not get the exercise they need. Would it be possible to make an outdoor run for the winter? My run is currently very similar to this but mine is an octagon: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...or-animals-elements%2Fdp%2FB004TSCDYK;300;203
That's obviously not going to be warm enough for the winter, even if it was good for the summer. Would covering it with newspaper be enough to keep them warm? I would cover the ground too, and make tunnels filled with hay. My washing machine is never free so I can't use fleece.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

If you don't have space anywhere for them, then I have no suggestions. They really shouldn't be outside at all in the winter. It wouldn't be fair to bring them in for floor time either as they don't cope very well with the fluctuation in temperature.

hiya;

i don't really have any advice for an outdoor run, but might it be possible to create a temporary 'run' indoors, one that is foldable and/or stored away when not in use? before i put my outdoor run into the conservatory i looked into these. i considered a kid's wading pool, and i even ordered a foldable round-ish run from zoo plus (which was very good quality, and comes also in large -as the medium i ordered was a bit small). it is not as spacious as as a proper outdoor run, but it does give the piggies a change of scenery and the option to run in circles! the problem is placing them outside again, after having been indoors, given the change in temperature ... unless the difference in temperature is not that big: maybe the garage would be your best bet after all? you don't have to clear it out completely, just enough? (i feel your pain about the garage: ours is stuffed and i managed to make a path through it to at least get to the door ... ).

one thing maybe that would help realize an outdoor option, which i read about somewhere on the forum. argos sells these tablecloths that are lino/vinyl on top, and felt at the bottom ... it is a good layer of insulation against the cold coming up from underneath? i use them for the run in the conservatory as the floor is tiled and cold.

good luck!

I know you said you are busy but honestly I would spend an afternoon clearing your garage and put the run in there, with lots of hay in boxes to snuggle in.

The main problem is, I don't have any control of cleaning out the garage. My mum says she has to do it, because she knows where everything's supposed to go, and will not let me do anything in there at all. If I had my way the guinea pigs would be living and exercising in the garage a long time ago. :(

See, the plan is to move them into the garage to live, they would live in a commercial cage (not too small of course) with a towel draped over the top to keep them warm, with the run moved into the garage too.

This is driving me nuts, she can't clean out the garage until she has time and that's not going to be for a few months...

... i should send my mum over: whenever she sees my garage when she visits she salivates at the thought of tidying it up -i.e. throw everything out! my husband jokes that my brother and i used to have a sibling, but she, my mum, must have thrown it out during one of her cleaning frenzies ... i am really sorry you are not in a position to take charge though ...

Hello!

It would not be a good idea to bring your piggies inside to run around and then put them back outside in a hutch - they would not cope with the difference in temperature particularly as it is now becoming so chilly. Is it possible for you to insulate your hutch a little more as the waterproof cover will not keep them warm enough as the temperature drops at night. You could buy some snugglesafe heatpads to put in the hutch and maybe cover the hutch with a big blanket and a tarpaulin to keep it dry. That way you could cover the front of the hutch with the blanket at night.

I cant really suggest anything for an outdoor run but using newspaper will definitely not be enough. Good luck finding a solution.

I will have to see if I can get a blanket, thanks for suggestions!

The hutch is actually in a very sheltered area of my garden, right by the door and near the french doors, it's significantly warmer there than it is out in the open. In addition I always put a bench against the front of the hutch which also helps to trap heat. I do plan on insulating the hutch further though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back