Is It Okay To Pick Up My Piggie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggie_lover_20

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! I got my piggie almost a week ago and she is my first one. I have been siting by the cage and letting her sniff my hand, and now she is letting me pet her and giving me kisses. I was just wondering if they are naturally nervous getting picked up. when I tried to pick her up she squealed but after she was fine. I just though she should be getting floor time as she is pretty adjusted (or acts like it) to her new home. Is it too early? Pls help!:D

It's instinct for them to be scared when they are "caught" they need time to know you in order to be comfortable with picking up. One of my cuddliest girls still sometimes runs and squeals when I pick her up and I have if her almost 3 years. Just be confident and support the majority of their body underneath.
If you are really nervous you can use a towel or small blanket buts it's going to take you both time to get comfortable with it. Keep doing it daily to get her adjusted.
Also my piggy adjusted much more quickly after I got her a friend, if It's something you can do I would look into getting her a cage mate

It's instinct for them to be scared when they are "caught" they need time to know you in order to be comfortable with picking up. One of my cuddliest girls still sometimes runs and squeals when I pick her up and I have if her almost 3 years. Just be confident and support the majority of their body underneath.
If you are really nervous you can use a towel or small blanket buts it's going to take you both time to get comfortable with it. Keep doing it daily to get her adjusted.
Also my piggy adjusted much more quickly after I got her a friend, if It's something you can do I would look into getting her a cage mate
She does have a cage mate, and thanks a lot! I will try the towel technique

Have a look at this video here with some techniques in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back