Is it ok?

Storm1974

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
....For our two boys (Now 6 months old) to still run away from our hands, almost all the time, when we go to stroke them or 'try' to pick them up?
Bracken will sometimes stay still to have a scritch, but Bramble very rarely does, and they don't let us pick them up without 'always' trying to run away. 😞

We've had them since August now, but because they don't really like being picked up, we only really do it twice a week, when we do their health checks and clean their cage, so should we really be trying to pick them up a little more often, to try and get them used to it? Last night, I really wanted to pick (either one) of them up for a quick cuddle, but it was impossible, they just raced across the cage into one of their (many) boxes, so I couldn't get them. 😢

I know that most piggies don't like to be picked up, and some never really get to enjoy it, so just hope that's not the case forever with them. Bracken is usually fine when he's out of the cage, though doesn't seem to really like being held that much, but Bramble only rarely tolerates it and that's just for a minute or so.

It is very normal, youre best to not expect them to allow you to pick them up willingly.

My two oldest boys are nearly 6 and will still run away to avoid being handled. They don’t mind being stroked but only in their terms - 9 times out of 10 they don’t want strokes either. They are handled for the essentials only.

Hugo (15 months) does not want to be held or touched - struggled to get away if I can catch him. Handled for essentials only but it is an effort, I have to work fast or risk being nipped.

Wilbur (also 15 months) is my exception. He will have a cuddle and really likes to be stroked in his cage. Even he has his limits though

I just sit with all of mine and let them come to me if they want to. They know I’m not going to try to pick them up all the time so they do freely come to me.
As long as you can do the essentials, I don’t feel there is any need to handle them more to get them used to it. It goes against their nature.

It is very normal, youre best to not expect them to allow you to pick them up willingly.

My two oldest boys are nearly 6 and will still run away to avoid being handled. They don’t mind being stroked but only in their terms - 9 times out of 10 they don’t want strokes either. They are handled for the essentials only.

Hugo (15 months) does not want to be held or touched - struggled to get away if I can catch him. Handled for essentials only but it is an effort, I have to work fast or risk being nipped.

Wilbur (also 15 months) is my exception. He will have a cuddle and really likes to be stroked in his cage. Even he has his limits though

I just sit with all of mine and let them come to me if they want to. They know I’m not going to try to pick them up all the time so they do freely come to me.
As long as you can do the essentials, I don’t feel there is any need to handle them more to get them used to it. It goes against their nature.

Thanks Piggies&buns, you have made me feel a lot better about my relationship with my adorable little fluffy potatoes. 🥰

We'll just have to accept the way they are. At least they're always comfortable enough with us to eat from our hands, and they do seem happy little boys, which is the most important thing!

Thanks Piggies&buns, you have made me feel a lot better about my relationship with my adorable little fluffy potatoes. 🥰 I'll just have to accept the way they are.
At least they're always comfortable enough with us to eat from our hands, and they do seem happy little boys, which is the most important thing!

It sounds like you have a great relationship with them.

Mine will all eat from my hand, they all want to see me and interact but they just don’t want to be touched

Back