• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is it normal to shed so much hair?

naguya

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a short haired boar (he cannot clean himself properly because of his tilt head), so I am combing him every day, and cleaning him with a damp cloth and a dry cloth once a week. But lately I've noticed that he's shedding a lot of hair, is this normal? It's been exactly like this, every day, there's no hairless spot on him.

IMG_20240927_100328252_HDR.webpIMG_20240927_100316128.webp

I have a short haired boar (he cannot clean himself properly because of his tilt head), so I am combing him every day, and cleaning him with a damp cloth and a dry cloth once a week. But lately I've noticed that he's shedding a lot of hair, is this normal? It's been exactly like this, every day, there's no hairless spot on him.

View attachment 257393View attachment 257394

Oh, yes! Unless you see distinct new bald patches, all guinea pigs shed hairs but some piggies can shed seasonally in spring and autumn when the weather patterns change. With some you have the feeling that they must be surely bald? But no, as long as there are no distinct new hairless areas then you are fine and the shed hairs will be replaced by new ones.

Oh, yes! Unless you see distinct new bald patches, all guinea pigs shed hairs but some piggies can shed seasonally in spring and autumn when the weather patterns change. With some you have the feeling that they must be surely bald? But no, as long as there are no distinct new hairless areas then you are fine and the shed hairs will be replaced by new ones.
Thank you! I was wondering if it was normal or not and it was starting to worry me.
Thank you for clarifying!

Thank you! I was wondering if it was normal or not and it was starting to worry me.
Thank you for clarifying!

The biggest shedders can shed a lot more, I assure you! :D

But as long as the hair loss is even all over the body it is just seasonal shedding.

Yes, we have hair everywhere! I've also noticed my pigs will go through a couple of major sheds seasonally... suddenly there is so much hair on my clothes and furniture that I can't believe there is still hair on the pigs! They never have any noticeable hair loss though and they go back to normal shedding after a few weeks.

The Autumn shed is underway here. Lots more hairs in the bedding! But there are never any bald areas.

My last long-haired piggy died in 2021, and I'm still finding his hair everywhere, despite moving house! 😂

Short haired boys for me but the amount of hair that comes off them is ridiculous, especially Sir George.....

2 of my boars are doing a seasonal shed at the moment, one is short hair the other is long. They are both mainly white so it shows up a lot on the fleece and my clothes!

all guinea pigs shed hairs but some piggies can shed seasonally in spring and autumn when the weather patterns change.
I'm curious - why do they shed so much in autumn? I'm quite clueless when it comes to piggy coats and hair/fur types, do they also replace their summer coats for heavier fur? Would you see it more in pigwigs who perhaps live in sheds outside where it's more difficult to keep a constant temperature?

Sorry if it's a silly question :')

I'm curious - why do they shed so much in autumn? I'm quite clueless when it comes to piggy coats and hair/fur types, do they also replace their summer coats for heavier fur? Would you see it more in pigwigs who perhaps live in sheds outside where it's more difficult to keep a constant temperature?

Sorry if it's a silly question :')

Yes, their coats are a bit thicker during the winter months.

Guinea pigs regulate their body temperature by increasing or decreasing the blood flow through the skin, especially their ears and paws. They do not pant or sweat (any damp coat is from condensation). It is not the most effective method, which is why sudden temperature jumps can be so deadly and lead to heat stroke.

As a species, they have evolved living in thick undergrowth and snuggling in their little fairly well insulated nooks and crannies in some thick patch of dead grass/growth for sleeping during the heat of the day and the cold of the night, coming out to feed on fresh grass mainly in the mornings and evening when temperatures are at their most moderate. That is why burrowing in hay is an important enrichment but also why a thicker winter coat is wanted.

The shedding in our domestic piggies which have been bred out for thousands of years now as a farmed species can vary individually quite a lot.

Back