• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is it normal for pigs t cough?

• Thread starter Thread starter Damonshumanslave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Damonshumanslave

One of my guinea pigs keeps coughing! Trouble is, I have 4 and I can't work out which one of them it is. Should I be worried?
Thanx.

Pick them up one at a time and check that there is no discharge from eyes/nose .Press your ear to the side of the piggy and check for any watery or clicky sounds.Coughing is more likely to be an allergic reaction to something rather than a URTI.Piggies can be allergic to many things,sawdust,woodshavings,air sprays and plug in fresheners,household detergent,perfume etc.etc. a bit of detective work has to be done to find the cause.

As long as the "coughing piggy" is eating and moving about normally,it probably is allergy.

Hiya and welcome to the forum. :)

Like sneezing, some coughing is normal in guinea pigs. Most of the time, coughing is brought about by a minor irritation in the windpipe, possibly caused by inhaling dusty hay or something similar. More serious would be constant coughing, which could be the sign of an infection or illness. Kennel Cough, in particular, is a rather serious illness in guinea pigs, and can actually be transmitted between species, including dogs, rabbits and guinea pigs. If any coughing is accompanied by other respiratory problems, particularly wheezing, then it is most likely a sign of a respiratory infection.

I got that info online. I would pick each pig up and listen to breathing just to check the over.

Hope they are ok.

Louise
:)

Hi Louise,

What internet website did you get the Kennel Cough info from?.,I am interested because in 30 years I have never heard of it ina gp or other rodent.I am sure it is a disease of canines only.

Re: Is it normal for pigs to cough?

Thanx for the info guys!
I have listened to all of their breathing, but can't hear anything. I have been using a plug-in air freshener occasionally, so I'll unplug it and see if that makes a difference. I stopped using woodshavings ages ago, as it made one piggy sneeze, so perhaps I should try a different brand of hay?

Digby coughs usualyy when he gobbles his celery tut tut any other time he is fine fingers crossed now you have switched the air freshener off they will be ok ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back