• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is it just bad luck?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mandy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mandy

As i type this message I'm waiting on a call from vets to see if my guinea pig has got through a tooth op. He is 6 and never had tooth problems but not eating dry food just hay. A week ago he had stopped eating vet thought he was a bit gassy, was given zantac and metacam and improved but this morning he was quiet again so they gonna check his teeth. After losing 3 guinea pigs in 3 months i cant bear to lose another one. I lost a brother and sister to bladderstones both getting through op but not recovering well, i had to make the horrible decision to put both to sleep. this happened within 2 weeks. they were 5 then my oldest guinea pig at 7 was diagnosed with cystitis but nothing worked,she was in agony and after making that awful decision again I'm feeling like I'm a useless owner, I'm just hoping my last one is going to pull through this problem. Has anyone else had such a bad run of things before?
Mandy

Hi Mandy,

Sorry to hear about your pigs. I think with them being the age they were then it's just been a really bad run of bad luck for you. This is something I dread, all my pigs are a similar age so I will probably hit a few wee one passing over to the Rainbow Bridge at one time.

Keep us posted on your wee guy at the vets,

Louise
x

Mine are the same, i've got 4 born in the same year :( I do hope your little one pulls through. Dont blame yourself, they all lived to great ages and unfortunately that's just what happens when they get older :( i have my fingers crossed for him xxxxx

Sorry to hear of your run of bad luck...hopefully things will start to get better for you soon. ;)

Good luck with your poorly pig and I hope all goes well for him O0

I can really understand how you are feeling, its so difficult when you are losing one after another! :'( I had a horrible few weeks earlier this year when I lost Murphy on 24th Jan, and then Millie in the morning and Jippi in the evening on 28th Jan and when Milo also went to the Bridge on the 18th Feb I really felt as though I must be doing something wrong, that I was a bad piggy mummy! :'( I even felt that the only way any of my others stood any chance was to not be with me!

It was thanks to so many lovely people on this forum assuring me it wasn't my fault and sending me a card with so many beautiful messages that I started to enjoy my piggies again!

I really hope your little man is ok and soon feeling much better! You are obviously a brilliant piggy mummy as they have all lived to really good ages! It still doesn't make it any easier though when the time comes to say goodbye!

Let us know how the little guy is and fingers crossed he will be just fine! O0

HI,
Thanks for your lovely messages i really have felt that I'm a terrible owner, its just been continuous trips to vets, i feel embarassed keep going in there, god only knows what they must think of me. I'm 23 but i go in there crying like a 5 year old. But anyway just heard back from vet they arent going to do his teeth today as he started eating and pooing better but they are gonna keep him in. They say it an ileus, gut problems. So not sure whether I'm relieved he not having anaesthetic as I'm worried it more serious if it gut problems. The vet did mention stress and altho he never lived in same cage as others when they were with us they all lived in same room, and was always chattering to them, so maybe he missing his friends? Who knows just hope he gonna be ok, life is very quiet these days.
Mandy

Aw poor you Mandy, don't blame yourself, and the vets will know that your piggies were older and its nothing you've done. He may be missing his friends i dont know, really hope he's ok xx

Hi Mandy
5 and 7 are both great ages for guinea pigs, so I wouldn't run yourself down, it sounds to me like you are doing a great job. O0
We are more prone to illness as we get older and guineas can be too.
Hopefully your 6 year old will be on the mend soon.
I have my fingers crossed for you.
Keep your chin up
Anne. :)

Awwww! Poor you :'( and poor piggy of course :'( It sounds like he may be picking up though so you've got to take heart from that O0 I think you should be really proud of yourself for having piggies that live so wrong and far from doing anything wrong it seems to me you do everything right to have them at such good ages. I know lots of piggy owners who can't keep them longer than a year or two. Don't be disheartened. Keeping fingers and paws crossed for your little boy O0 :smitten:

Well Mr Pickles is home and settled back in, they cant justify doing his teeth as he been eating there ok and pooing normal so hoping it just me being a bit paranoid. Be keeping close eye on him anyway(no change there then lol)
Thanks for all kind words, this site is a god send in times of worry
cheers everyone
mandyx

Mr. Pickles what a gorgeous name :smitten:
I do hope he'll be ok, he's a wonderful aged piggie, so you must be doing something really right with him :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Don't worry toofie probs can be managed, i have to get regular trims done on our 5hr 9mth boy and he's been now having them done for well over a year now :( It's a cycle they don't eat enough hay or pellets and this doesn't keep their toofies ground down :(
All the best with Mr. P :smitten:

I dont believe it now after just feelin like i can relax with Mr Pickles i have now found blood in his wee.
I feel like giving up now. I cant believe so much can happen in such a short time. Hopefully i will be able to get appointment tomos morning.
He seems happy enough, ust hope it nothing too serious
Mandy

Oh God yeah, I'm having a terrible run at the moment. I've lost 6 guineas in 12 months, 4 of them were in the last two months. I lost one today actually. And one three weeks ago. I haven't got over the last one yet and we just buried Sweep this evening. I feel defeated and quite beaten up at the moment. I've been crying a lot recently too, so I really do sympathise with you wholeheartedly. I've just been crying this minute in fact. It's your love for him that's hurting so much but if you didn't love him as much as you do he wouldn't be getting so much care from you. It's so hard sometimes and I've been asking on the General board how people cope when they lose a few, and the replies I've been getting make me feel like I'm not alone in this. You're not alone either. Good luck with Mr Pickles... I hope he recovers and I hope you don't give up.

Hi Pigpog,
Just replied on your post, sometimes i really struggle with emotions too. It has been one thing after another like yourself. Everyone telling me to get some more but i just dont think i can cope with losing anymore. They bring such love and fun but its at times like this that i cant cope. Everything else is put on hold and i just sit worrying. My husband is getting fed up with me. But i cant help it. Anyway all i can say is thank the lord for this forum as i have defianately realised that i not the only one. Anyway once again hope things improve for you, best of luck
Mandy

Aw Mandy poor you and poor piggie. Fingers crossed its just a UTI and you've caught it early. It can be sorted put with some septrin. Best of luck will be thinking of you :) x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back