Is it Detrimental NOT to Handle Very Often?

Storm1974

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So we've had Bracken and Bramble for just over around 6 weeks now and although they will take food from us and I have picked them up a few times, it is not very often because they don't seem to like it and I don't want to stress them out. Bramble is particularly bad when I go to pick him up and will race around the cage, then when I finally get him he screams as I pick him up! 😣 Bracken is a little better, but still runs away from my hand, though both (Well especially Bracken) are ok once I'm actually holding them, as long as they feel secure and I have them against my chest. My other half has never handled them, but he does put his hand in the cage regularly and they come over and sniff and sometimes nibble on it. :luv:

I know they need handling weekly for weighing, health checks etc., but because they are still young (They're around 13-14 weeks) and are extremely active with a fantastic appetite, we have only actually weighed them once since we've had them, but we have given Brackens back nails a quick trim (But not Brambles) but didn't really manage to do the front as he really didn't like it. Their nails are ok though, because we have put a couple of small, flat rocks in there, at the entrance to their main sleeping box, so they often run over these (They have never hurt themselves in the slightest!), so I think that is helping, though I expect we will have to attempt the nail cutting at some point. :eek::eek: To be honest, since we have had the boys, because they have been so skittish (Though they are a lot better now, just not with being actually picked up!) I have had really bad anxiety about both cutting their nails and picking them up daily, hence why I haven't done it, and my other half is the same really and he also is partially sighted, so it's harder for him to see in the cage to get them. So that doesn't help. 🙄😑

We just don't like the thought of stressing them out and know it can be detrimental to their health as well.

Are we being really bad owners by not picking them up daily?

They are going to the vet tomorrow for mite treatment, so I expect that will be very stressful for them! 🥺

Edited to add...
When I say 'are we being bad owners by not picking them up daily', what I'm actually trying to ask is, does it mean that by not picking them up regularly now, they will never get tame and always be scared of us picking them up (Which is obviously not a good thing)?

I don’t pick mine up daily - they dont like it and I don’t see the point in forcing them to do something they’re uncomfortable with.
The ones that let me touch them, I do stroke so can feel if anything is out of the ordinary.
Weekly weight checks, health checks etc are done for all whether they like it or not.

My two oldest boys are much more handleable as they have aged but I still won’t forve them to be held if they don’t want to.

Even tame piggies may not like to be picked up. Picking up cuts very close to the prey instinct.
My Wilbur loves a stroke, actively asks for it but still doesn’t want to be held (although he is the easiest of my four to handle).

Sitting on the floor with my boys and allowing them to come to me if they want to is how we interact

Hi

You are not a bad owner.

I don't pick mine up daily. I have my 'cuddle piggies' and some skittish 'hands-off piggies' that I handle just for the weekly health check/grooming and any medicating because they simply do not enjoy human cuddles so why should I force it upon them when there are other ways to make friends? I do give my piggies the space to tell me whether they like to be held and stroked and to tell me when they have had enough; for most that is about 5-10 minutes. But they trust me enough to tell me how they feel about it and that I respect those feelings.

However, not handling doesn't mean not interacting with them in other ways. I'd rather enjoy my piggies by sharing their fun and give them the freedom to give me what they want on their own terms. Enrichment and interaction happens on many levels whereas lap time is actually rather one dimensional and one directional, and very human centric in comparison.

If you share fun time - even if it is making them work for their veg by wrapping it in some brown paper or by hiding it around the cageor by sprinkling their pellets all over or in several little heaps dotted arouns - then that is shared time that makes both parties happier and can be fitted even into a busy day and can help you relax and get a laugh as well. ;)
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Thanks for the replies, I now feel much better about not handling my boys too often. ☺️ They're centre stage in our living room and I'm regularly having my hands inside the cage spot cleaning it and giving them small tidbits of food, have also started adding more hay to the actual cage floor and scattering some of their pellets into the cage for a bit of stimulation. Also got to think up more ways to interact/keep them stimulated in their cage because our place is a bit too small (Limited floor space) to have them out in a run, unless it's outside when the weather is warm/dry enough. We don't have a lot of money for expensive scatter treats or toys, but I have put empty toilet roll holders with hay inside in the cage, but they weren't that interested. May also try (From a video I've just watched on YT) tying a piece of string to their cage wall and putting bits of carrot etc on there. They also have empty cardboard boxes to sleep/play in and a tunnel. I do worry about them being stuck in the cage 24/7, they 'must' get bored with it.

Thanks for the replies, I now feel much better about not handling my boys too often. ☺️ They're centre stage in our living room and I'm regularly having my hands inside the cage spot cleaning it and giving them small tidbits of food, have also started adding more hay to the actual cage floor and scattering some of their pellets into the cage for a bit of stimulation. Also got to think up more ways to interact/keep them stimulated in their cage because our place is a bit too small (Limited floor space) to have them out in a run, unless it's outside when the weather is warm/dry enough. We don't have a lot of money for expensive scatter treats or toys, but I have put empty toilet roll holders with hay inside in the cage, but they weren't that interested. May also try (From a video I've just watched on YT) tying a piece of string to their cage wall and putting bits of carrot etc on there. They also have empty cardboard boxes to sleep/play in and a tunnel. I do worry about them being stuck in the cage 24/7, they 'must' get bored with it.

Hi

Please click on the Enrichment Guide link in my first post and you will find lots of simple and easy ideas to hopefully trigger your own creativity.

Mine don’t like being picked up and cuddled so I leave them be.
The only time they’re handled is the weekly health check or vet trips.
They are fine with this level of handling
They’re quite happy to come to the bars and chat and occasionally let me stroke their heads.
They’re happy and so am I

I don't pick up my boys because they act like they are running for their lives. I pet them because they allow that. I don't want to stress them out if at all possible. I am just glad they let me give them bum baths and nail cuts.

Have you tried weighing your piggies in a hidey weighing the hidey without the piggy in it and subtracting the weight of the hidey? That's what I had right do when I adopted Rainbow Piggy Lexi and her friend Thea. Lexi was the most terrified piggie I have ever met and she was fine with this. The first few checks were very quick and not done properly just to get her used to it.

Have you tried weighing your piggies in a hidey weighing the hidey without the piggy in it and subtracting the weight of the hidey? That's what I had right do when I adopted Rainbow Piggy Lexi and her friend Thea. Lexi was the most terrified piggie I have ever met and she was fine with this. The first few checks were very quick and not done properly just to get her used to it.
Yes, did that the first time. ☺️
They will be getting weighed when they go to the vets tomorrow too, so that's good!

I've found that daily handling/pickups/cuddles definitely helps them get used to it.
All 6 of my piggies love cuddles now, it took months for me to be able to handle 2 of my sows, they were younger & I think as they get older it gets easier.
Some are still a tad skittish when it comes to being picked up, but how can they not be, it's natural for them as prey animals. But much better now.

You're not a bad owner in the slightest. If they're not a fan of cuddles, that's ok - maybe get a snuffle mat? They have them on Chewy and Amazon, those are so much fun for them! You can hide treats/veggies in it & they forage for it. :) Just an idea.

I stuff the toilet paper rolls with hay, which yours may enjoy also.

I don't think it's harmful to them (not being handled). What I would say is that doing it irregularly is probably more stressful to them than doing it more often.

My main concern in terms of handling is safety when going to the vet. When we first got our boys, they were so wild that we had to get the vet to put the scale on the floor for the first weigh-in, because we would not be able to stop them leaping off the examination table. That could be fatal. So for the first few weeks we had them, we picked them up regularly and gave them treats so that they became used to it.

If your pigs are well-enough handled that handling doesn't overly stress them, then I think that's good enough. I would define that as that they are not trying to jump out of our hands, and they calm down while we are holding them sufficiently to take and eat a treat (an animal that is very stressed is not usually able to chew and swallow).

Ours have turned into real cuddle pigs as they've got older, but that's a bonus. Not every pig wants to be cuddled but every pig needs to be able to be safely handled.

I don't think it's harmful to them (not being handled). What I would say is that doing it irregularly is probably more stressful to them than doing it more often.

My main concern in terms of handling is safety when going to the vet. When we first got our boys, they were so wild that we had to get the vet to put the scale on the floor for the first weigh-in, because we would not be able to stop them leaping off the examination table. That could be fatal. So for the first few weeks we had them, we picked them up regularly and gave them treats so that they became used to it.

If your pigs are well-enough handled that handling doesn't overly stress them, then I think that's good enough. I would define that as that they are not trying to jump out of our hands, and they calm down while we are holding them sufficiently to take and eat a treat (an animal that is very stressed is not usually able to chew and swallow).

Ours have turned into real cuddle pigs as they've got older, but that's a bonus. Not every pig wants to be cuddled but every pig needs to be able to be safely handled.
Tomorrow we have to weigh them for meds and their nails also need trimming. I don't really know what to do, almost every time I even put my hand near to Bramble to stroke him in the cage, he dashes away from me. Bracken will often stay for a head scritch, but Bramble rarely does. It's just awful hearing Bramble scream when I pick him up, it's really stressing me now, it's always there in the back of my mind that they 'should really' be handled more and their nails ARE going to need a trim soon! 🥺

Ok, so I just managed to pick up Bracken and he was fine, held him for a couple of minutes against my chest, stroking him and he was pretty calm. 🥰

Bramble though, I couldn't get, he just raced around the cage and when I did manage to try and pick him up when he ran into the box, he just screamed. 😢 I did manage to hold him the other day though for a couple of minutes, when they were in their carrier for cage clean time and I had to pick him up to put him back in the cage. But as soon as I put him down he races off and hides, like it was so terrifying!

Being picked up with bare hands (while they have access to the whole cage is unlikely to work) is akin to being eaten. Herd into a box, carrier or hide first and then pick up from there

:agr:

Billy pig has been living with us about 6months now, he doesn’t like to be picked up. We persuade our piggies into a fleecy bag/snuggle sack for pick ups.
Even after 6months, Billy will think about getting in the bag, once he’s in he still rumbles, squeaks & tells the bag or us off!

:agr:

Billy pig has been living with us about 6months now, he doesn’t like to be picked up. We persuade our piggies into a fleecy bag/snuggle sack for pick ups.
Even after 6months, Billy will think about getting in the bag, once he’s in he still rumbles, squeaks & tells the bag or us off!

Have tried getting them into a cuddle sack, but they will run around it and away from us, because their cage is quite large. This is what we did a couple of times when we first got them, but it is very hard to convince them into the cuddle cup, they seem to know we're trying to catch them. Will have to try again though especially as we need to weigh them tomorrow.

Have tried getting them into a cuddle sack, but they will run around it and away from us, because their cage is quite large. This is what we did a couple of times when we first got them, but it is very hard to convince them into the cuddle cup, they seem to know we're trying to catch them. Will have to try again though especially as we need to weigh them tomorrow.

I would I try an actual carrier as it’s bigger.
Make a wall to encourage them into a smaller area and then into the carrier (as the only hide in the area).

For my difficult to pick up two I take everything out of the cage and put in a carrier with some fresh hay and a little grass in it. They jump straight into the carrier once they get used to it because they know there will be food in it. Lift them out of the cage in the carrier and then pick them up from the carrier. I think they are hard to catch because I didn't handle them enough when I first had them. A few days after they arrived I had a succession of sick piggies and was prioritising them and not the newbys. Timmy and Freddie are getting better but it is taking a long time (over a year). Only one of my guinea pigs likes to be cuddled so he's the only one that gets lap time.
Food is the key, once they know they get a treat after doing something they cooperate and look for the food. My boys get a treat after health checks etc.
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

A guinea pig standing still and allowing you to pet it while in its cage is a much bigger ask than a guinea pig tolerating being caught. Our pigs love to be held and stroked, but only one of them will put up with it while in his cage. He's not scared, but he's dominant and he seems to see it as beneath his dignity! He tosses his head and stalks off. I would not take a pig refusing to be petted in the cage as any sort of indication of how scared they are of being picked up.

I also would not take a pig running away when you go to catch it as an indication of fear, not the way that we think of it. It is an instinctive reaction, and very few pigs will completely overcome it. Ours now limit how far or fast they will run, but they still do it. Almost as if they're putting on a show.

Also, they will squeal and scream, one of ours is very dramatic but he's quite happy once we've caught him.

At the end of the day, getting used to handling is a welfare issue, so they've just got to suck it up. That's my attitude to it. Like a dog has to learn to wear a collar or any pet has to put up with being put in a carrier or forced to swallow medicine. You're not hurting them, and if you persist they will eventually get used to it. Give them a treat immediately when you pick them up and they will get used to it quicker.

In terms of the practicalities, some pigs are extremely difficult to catch, like slippery bars of soap. Keep persisting. The biggest tip I can give is to try to aim in front of the pig as they are running. You're trying to catch them around the chest and shoulders in the first instance, and they will tend to be so fast that you end up grabbing them round the belly instead, and then you have to let go as you can't lift a pig by the belly (and their bellies are so squashy that they will usually just slip free in any case). Aim for the head and you are more likely to get the chest and shoulders. Then you can slip a hand under the bum and up they come. Alternatively if you are fast you can get both hands under all four feet and whip them up into your arms. Be quick and careful, as them having their feet on your hands will make it easy for them to jump.

Of course a lot of pigs will turn on a dime when you aim ahead like this, or even jump right over your hands! Just keep trying, and keep up a calm commentary as you're doing so. "Oh wow, that was a jump, look at that! You're so fast! Cheeky boy/girl. Oops! Look at you go!" - that will hopefully keep your own stress down and prevent it from communicating to the pigs, which will only make them faster and more dramatic.

A guinea pig standing still and allowing you to pet it while in its cage is a much bigger ask than a guinea pig tolerating being caught. Our pigs love to be held and stroked, but only one of them will put up with it while in his cage. He's not scared, but he's dominant and he seems to see it as beneath his dignity! He tosses his head and stalks off. I would not take a pig refusing to be petted in the cage as any sort of indication of how scared they are of being picked up.

I also would not take a pig running away when you go to catch it as an indication of fear, not the way that we think of it. It is an instinctive reaction, and very few pigs will completely overcome it. Ours now limit how far or fast they will run, but they still do it. Almost as if they're putting on a show.

Also, they will squeal and scream, one of ours is very dramatic but he's quite happy once we've caught him.

At the end of the day, getting used to handling is a welfare issue, so they've just got to suck it up. That's my attitude to it. Like a dog has to learn to wear a collar or any pet has to put up with being put in a carrier or forced to swallow medicine. You're not hurting them, and if you persist they will eventually get used to it. Give them a treat immediately when you pick them up and they will get used to it quicker.

In terms of the practicalities, some pigs are extremely difficult to catch, like slippery bars of soap. Keep persisting. The biggest tip I can give is to try to aim in front of the pig as they are running. You're trying to catch them around the chest and shoulders in the first instance, and they will tend to be so fast that you end up grabbing them round the belly instead, and then you have to let go as you can't lift a pig by the belly (and their bellies are so squashy that they will usually just slip free in any case). Aim for the head and you are more likely to get the chest and shoulders. Then you can slip a hand under the bum and up they come. Alternatively if you are fast you can get both hands under all four feet and whip them up into your arms. Be quick and careful, as them having their feet on your hands will make it easy for them to jump.

Of course a lot of pigs will turn on a dime when you aim ahead like this, or even jump right over your hands! Just keep trying, and keep up a calm commentary as you're doing so. "Oh wow, that was a jump, look at that! You're so fast! Cheeky boy/girl. Oops! Look at you go!" - that will hopefully keep your own stress down and prevent it from communicating to the pigs, which will only make them faster and more dramatic.
Great advice, thank you!

Also thanks to everybody else who has kindly replied. 🥰

Have actually managed to hold both of them today, although only briefly as I was picking them up out of their inside run to put back them back into their cage, which is always a lot easier than actually picking them up to take them OUT of their cage!

Next BIG hurdle is attempting to cut their nails, which I'm still very worried about attempting, especially with Bramble! :yikes:

Nail cutting is a challenge. Even if you start by aiming to cut one foot, or even one nail, each time, you will get there eventually!

Finally got to clip BOTH boys nails! :clap:Well mainly the back ones anyway as the front ones weren't too bad and Bracken squeaked a couple of times when I tried to clip a couple of his front ones and he has black nails, so it was very difficult to see where the quick started, especially as they weren't that long! So I didn't manage to take anything off of them this time. They both sat amazingly still though and Bramble just nibbled on the piece of carrot, almost seeming totally oblivious to the fact that his nails were being trimmed for the FIRST time ever! 🥰 The biggest problem I found actually was that my eyesight isn't that great for close up things, so I couldn't actually see the tip of the nails that easily, without my eyes going a little bit blurry! :oops: Also,we used dog nail clippers (Ancol Small dog clippers) instead of specific small animal ones, do you think that is ok, or should we actually buy specific small animal clippers, would that make it any easier?

I don't wear glasses, but maybe need to get some for my long sightedness for next time! :blink:

Hello well done you should feel pleased doing so much - it is a challenge - a torch held under the nails can show how close/far the quick is. Cutting the nails in a brightly lit area helps - sounds like some glasses might help - I use special piggy scissors for cutting the nails - the nails aren’t hard like dog nails - you can buy special nail clippers for small animals -
A good fun thing for piggies is to get a paper bag and fill with hay and a bit of forage and let them find it - it’s cheap and fun for them - good luck
Just for info Saskia from the LA guinea pig rescue has great videos on YouTube about cutting nails

Hello well done you should feel pleased doing so much - it is a challenge - a torch held under the nails can show how close/far the quick is. Cutting the nails in a brightly lit area helps - sounds like some glasses might help - I use special piggy scissors for cutting the nails - the nails aren’t hard like dog nails - you can buy special nail clippers for small animals -
A good fun thing for piggies is to get a paper bag and fill with hay and a bit of forage and let them find it - it’s cheap and fun for them - good luck
Just for info Saskia from the LA guinea pig rescue has great videos on YouTube about cutting nails
Yes I may have to get some small animal clippers instead.

I already watch Saskia and many other GP channels on YT. 🙂

Well done! You should be extremely proud of yourself.

Black nails are very difficult. I think the best thing is to cut them little and often, just take off the very tip. Then you know you're not cutting the quick.

Cutting the quick is horrible and makes you feel terribly guilty, but in my experience the pig actually gets over it quite quickly. I'm not saying you shouldn't be careful, just that it's something that does happen sometimes to the best of us.

Well done! You should be extremely proud of yourself.

Black nails are very difficult. I think the best thing is to cut them little and often, just take off the very tip. Then you know you're not cutting the quick.

Cutting the quick is horrible and makes you feel terribly guilty, but in my experience the pig actually gets over it quite quickly. I'm not saying you shouldn't be careful, just that it's something that does happen sometimes to the best of us.

Thanks! 😊

That is exactly what I did, just cut off the very tips. I'm sure they do get over it if you cut their quick, but I just imagine how it would feel if it happened to me.....Very painful and it makes me cringe to think about it ,😖 so I will always do my best NOT to cut it!

Do you think using 'small dog' nail clippers is ok?

I do try to pick mine up if they like it or not because over time I have seen a change with one of my piggies by doing that he has become more cuddly.Now with Oreo he is just scared he does not lie being out but he has gotten better over time. What I like to do is feed their favorite treat while they are out and pick them up and then feed them a treat while they are in my arm so they wont associate it with such a bad attitude.

Thanks! 😊

That is exactly what I did, just cut off the very tips. I'm sure they do get over it if you cut their quick, but I just imagine how it would feel if it happened to me.....Very painful and it makes me cringe to think about it ,😖 so I will always do my best NOT to cut it!

Do you think using 'small dog' nail clippers is ok?
Probably, but they might be a bit more difficult to use because they will be bigger than the specific guinea pig ones.

Back