Is It Cruel To Have Outdoor Hutch In Garden Not Shed/garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New pig mum

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, We have 2 boys since Nov who initially lived indoors C&C cage.We bought a 2 storey hutch from P@H with a thermal liner and they have now been outside for 2 weeks.My OH says they will be fine "live in wild in Peru etc...",I hadn't found this site then else I might not have put them out as many members seem to have hutches in a shed or garage?
Just want them to be happy not cold and scared-what do other people do please?
Read on the site yesterday they shouldn't go outside unless it's warm enough not to wear a coat and night doesn't fall below 15 degrees.They seem ok so far although we have inadvertently done them wrong!
If we do have a family discussion about this and try to protect them better, are there sheds with working windows for ventilation? We do have space in the garage although no windows

If they stay outdoors then we are looking at Snowflake as we use now paper,Carefresh and wood chip throughout with masses of bedding hay in bedroom area.Is this right ,do we need a different combination in different areas of the hutch? Also when is the thermal cover replaced with watrproof cover or is it ok year round in uk?

I love this site but the more I read the more questions I have!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. You will find lots of different views on here on this question but one thing everyone has in common is a love of piggies and their best interests at heart. Ask as many questions as you like!

I agree that piggies outside need extra warmth if the temperature is below 15 degrees centigrade. I also think older piggies find it harder to be outside in colder weather so as your piggies get older you will want to protect them more by either having them live inside your house or in a a shed or garage or something.

We have 6 indoor piggies and 2 outdoor piggies (mainly because we wanted to keep the boars away from the sows so they didn't smell them and fall out). Our outdoor piggies are in a hutch in a sheltered area and have heat pads every night plus we have thick wooden covers for the mesh "windows" that we put on every night (ensuring there is still some ventilation). When they are older, we will move them inside for the winter. I would also move them in if the weather was exceptionally cold or if they were ill.

Sheds can be a good option. Lots of people on here have them.hope that helps.

Thanks the shutters sound good as the thermal lining still looks very draughty, need to ask my husband to get onto it.Another daft question then, if using snuggle sacks which I am considering also as many seem successful, do we also need heat pads?
Is the thermal cover year round safe or will they get too hot in summer?
THis is a minefield

Hi,
I think they should be fine but a garage or shed would help as you maybe could buy a heater.

I use 2 snuggle safe microwavable heat pads,- one for each piggie -, a normal waterproof cover that came with the hutch as my Dad refused to buy a thermal one, insulation in between the hutch and cover and on second floor, and the hutch was in a garage.
They only used the bottom as top was part broken. I also put bubble wrap over the doors to block out drafts as they are the main killer for outdoor piggies. I put poundland emergency blankets on the doors and sides to reflect heat.

With all this my piggies survived winter in -2 temperatures celsius.

Hope this helps!

Hi,
I think they should be fine but a garage or shed would help as you maybe could buy a heater.

I use 2 snuggle safe microwavable heat pads,- one for each piggie -, a normal waterproof cover that came with the hutch as my Dad refused to buy a thermal one, insulation in between the hutch and cover and on second floor, and the hutch was in a garage.
They only used the bottom as top was part broken. I also put bubble wrap over the doors to block out drafts as they are the main killer for outdoor piggies. I put poundland emergency blankets on the doors and sides to reflect heat.

Hope this helps!
Hi,

Hope this helps!

Yes that's very reassuring thank you! Was starting to get worried with having all the wrong kit and being a bad mum

I don't use the heatpads all year round. If night temperatures outside are going to drop below 12 degrees I use them.

I would use them in addition to snuggle sacks.

I've got plastic hideys in their bedrooms and I put the heat pads in there then I stuff the bedroom area full of hay to help insulate.

If you don't own heatpads yet, you might now be ok until Autumn with snuggle sacks plus thermal cover and stuff bedroom area with hay. If it's going to be really cold one night, you could just bring them in overnight but hopefully most of the cold weather is on the way out now.

VetUk online often sells the snugglesafe heatpads quite cheaply - worth watching out. Last summer I got a couple for just over £10 each.

Overheating is also an issue so I wouldn't use the thermal cover in hot weather.

I don't use the heatpads all year round. If night temperatures outside are going to drop below 12 degrees I use them.

I would use them in addition to snuggle sacks.

I've got plastic hideys in their bedrooms and I put the heat pads in there then I stuff the bedroom area full of hay to help insulate.

If you don't own heatpads yet, you might now be ok until Autumn with snuggle sacks plus thermal cover and stuff bedroom area with hay. If it's going to be really cold one night, you could just bring them in overnight but hopefully most of the cold weather is on the way out now.

VetUk online often sells the snugglesafe heatpads quite cheaply - worth watching out. Last summer I got a couple for just over £10 each.

Overheating is also an issue so I wouldn't use the thermal cover in hot weather.
Thanks, I had used a bendy stick arch hidey in bedroom on bedding and packed with hay, so hope this is ok until autumn.snuggle sacks look fab,will order some today

Thanks the shutters sound good as the thermal lining still looks very draughty, need to ask my husband to get onto it.Another daft question then, if using snuggle sacks which I am considering also as many seem successful, do we also need heat pads?
Is the thermal cover year round safe or will they get too hot in summer?
THis is a minefield

I would not have a thermal cover in summer as that might be too hot for them.
Cool pads are about £10 and heat pads are £22 from pets@home but you can search for a bargain on ebay.
Heat pads are probably essential.

Thanks, I had used a bendy stick arch hidey in bedroom on bedding and packed with hay, so hope this is ok until autumn.snuggle sacks look fab,will order some today
Yes snuggle sacks are great. Also good for moving from hutch to lawn time run without stressing piggies out!

Hello, We have 2 boys since Nov who initially lived indoors C&C cage.We bought a 2 storey hutch from P@H with a thermal liner and they have now been outside for 2 weeks.My OH says they will be fine "live in wild in Peru etc...",I hadn't found this site then else I might not have put them out as many members seem to have hutches in a shed or garage?
Just want them to be happy not cold and scared-what do other people do please?
Read on the site yesterday they shouldn't go outside unless it's warm enough not to wear a coat and night doesn't fall below 15 degrees.They seem ok so far although we have inadvertently done them wrong!
If we do have a family discussion about this and try to protect them better, are there sheds with working windows for ventilation? We do have space in the garage although no windows

If they stay outdoors then we are looking at Snowflake as we use now paper,Carefresh and wood chip throughout with masses of bedding hay in bedroom area.Is this right ,do we need a different combination in different areas of the hutch? Also when is the thermal cover replaced with watrproof cover or is it ok year round in uk?

I love this site but the more I read the more questions I have!
Personally i have my pigs indoors during the winter time and outside during the summer time.

I put my pigs out in the summer around the end of May when it starts getting warmer and then around the beginning of October i put them inside.
In August or hot days I remove my thermal cover and put them in their run and put iced water bottles out to keep them cool ( and of course a house and a towel for shade ). I don't think its cruel to put your guinea pigs outside in the summer as it gets to hot in the shed.
I still put my hutch in a shady area but in the winter i take them in because of snow / frost etc.

Hope this helped my pigs are going outside on the 30th of May

Currently my piggies live in hutches in the shed but they live in there year round. In the winter they have no heating, heat pads or hutch cover and they were fine this winter, I just kept feeling them to see if they felt cold and they never did.
We did previously have guinea pigs kept outside in a hutch but they were only out from April until mid September before they went into a shed in the hutch. We did use a tarpaulin in the summer when they were out to stop foxes etc at night and for shelter the days it was raining.
I would say they would get too hot in full summer with a thermal cover but it will be ok for now. I have never kept my piggies inside so don't feel mean about keeping them there.
My shed also gets really hot in the summer so outside with a rain cover would be my preferable option but I have a small garden so can't.
Hope this helps

My piggies were outside for many years in all weathers. The hutch had insulation and waterproofing. Its only been the last 3 years that I've put them in a shed. ;)

(Michelle) When I had piggies a few years ago (a neutered male and 3 females) they lived in a hutch outside until 1st November then lived indoors in an indoor cage until the weather warmed up in May.

we too have become new piggie owners and the more i read the more stressed i get! We have an outdoor hutch, inside the sheltered bit they have hay and a wooden house. At night we have been covering with a tarp but have ordered a ventilated cover. It is a two storey hutch but cos they are only 6 weeks old they don't realise they can go downstairs.. to prevent stress ( from me putting them downstairs then back up again ) we are going to move them downstairs - going to wind proof the outside of the hutch with wood over the mesh bit. I worry they will be cold.. we will probably bring them inside when its winter but was planning the use the conservatory but read this would be no good !

(Michelle) In winter will they be in a hutch in the conservatory? If so if you cover it with an old duvet to insulate it, give them plenty of hay to bed in (I cleaned mine out daily to stop them from getting damp) and cover the front of the hutch at night they should be OK. I think it is always best to bring them indoor for the winter if you can but if not a hutch put in a shed or conservatory is better than being left outside as it won't get rained on and is less drafty.

we too have become new piggie owners and the more i read the more stressed i get! We have an outdoor hutch, inside the sheltered bit they have hay and a wooden house. At night we have been covering with a tarp but have ordered a ventilated cover. It is a two storey hutch but cos they are only 6 weeks old they don't realise they can go downstairs.. to prevent stress ( from me putting them downstairs then back up again ) we are going to move them downstairs - going to wind proof the outside of the hutch with wood over the mesh bit. I worry they will be cold.. we will probably bring them inside when its winter but was planning the use the conservatory but read this would be no good !
Aw, please don't get too stressed! I know, there is so much info and so much advice it is hard sometimes to know what to do for the best. Extremes of temperature and sudden fluctuations between hot and cold are the main things to avoid, also draughts and wet/damp. Common sense and a good thermometer near the accommodation will help. :)

Please don't get stressed about your piggies being outdoors.

My piggies live indoors all year round but before we moved in to our own house, my piggies lived outside in a free range shed. Previous to this, they were in a hutch in the garden. We placed the hutch in a sheltered part. During the winter, the hutch had a thermal scratch and newton hutch snuggle, cardboard and then a waterproof wind and rain protector. We would fill the sleeping area with fresh hay daily and provide them with fleece cosies and cardboard boxes stuffed with hay. I also covered the front of the hutch with a fleece blanket overnight and gave them snuggle safe heat pads http://www.amazon.co.uk/SnuggleSafe-Microwave-Wireless-Heatpad-Fleece/dp/B0014LJKUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431694394&sr=8-1&keywords=snugglesafe+heat+pad We did have them indoors in a very large storage box with no lid when the weather was really cold.

It would be ideal if you could move the hutch in to a shed / unused garage / conservatory during the colder months but guinea pigs can live outside provided that the effort is put in and they are cared for properly which it sounds like you are doing xx

Please don't get stressed about your piggies being outdoors.

My piggies live indoors all year round but before we moved in to our own house, my piggies lived outside in a free range shed. Previous to this, they were in a hutch in the garden. We placed the hutch in a sheltered part. During the winter, the hutch had a thermal scratch and newton hutch snuggle, cardboard and then a waterproof wind and rain protector. We would fill the sleeping area with fresh hay daily and provide them with fleece cosies and cardboard boxes stuffed with hay. I also covered the front of the hutch with a fleece blanket overnight and gave them snuggle safe heat pads http://www.amazon.co.uk/SnuggleSafe-Microwave-Wireless-Heatpad-Fleece/dp/B0014LJKUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431694394&sr=8-1&keywords=snugglesafe+heat+pad We did have them indoors in a very large storage box with no lid when the weather was really cold.

It would be ideal if you could move the hutch in to a shed / unused garage / conservatory during the colder months but guinea pigs can live outside provided that the effort is put in and they are cared for properly which it sounds like you are doing xx

Thank you.... I am trying to do my best for them cos I love them already ! Kids keep calling me Grandma ! We will defo move them inside in winter.. more cuddle time ! xx

Aw, please don't get too stressed! I know, there is so much info and so much advice it is hard sometimes to know what to do for the best. Extremes of temperature and sudden fluctuations between hot and cold are the main things to avoid, also draughts and wet/damp. Common sense and a good thermometer near the accommodation will help. :)

Thank you, all the advice on here is great.. I feel like a complete newbie which i am so appreciate replies ! x

I'm sure you'll get better advice from people in a similar climate. I'm in Canada and there would be very few months where pigs could safely live outdoors. It's too cold for any wildlife that isn't native to this climate in the winter. Just wanted to say welcome, though!

I'm sure you'll get better advice from people in a similar climate. I'm in Canada and there would be very few months where pigs could safely live outdoors. It's too cold for any wildlife that isn't native to this climate in the winter. Just wanted to say welcome, though!
Thanks, will have to get my O/H onto making shutters to keep out the draught in the interim.They seem to be ok so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back