Is it alright for a guinea pig burrow himself below cloth?

naguya

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I noticed that my younger boar (4-5 months old) began to burrow himself under the cloth. There is the cage bedding, and above it I place soft cloths under the hiding places.

He doesn't do this in the other hiding places with cloth, just in this specific one. He misaligns the entire cloth and covers himself completely.

Today I found him sleeping completely covered, is there a risk of him suffocating?

He has been eating well, urinating and having good poop. He exercises, runs, drinks a lot of water, no signals of pain or discomfort, gets along extremely well with the other boar.

I'm just worried that he'll suffocate or get too hot if he sleeps under those blankets. Is this alright or is it okay to let him do this? Or should I make some changes?

He is right bellow all this cloth. He only do this in this specific hiding.

IMG_20240822_132950060.webp

It's fine - if he can get himself under it, he can usually get himself back out again. He might wreck the cage in the process, but I wouldn't worry unless there's something underneath it he shouldn't be chewing on Like a puppy pad or similar.

It's fine - if he can get himself under it, he can usually get himself back out again. He might wreck the cage in the process, but I wouldn't worry unless there's something underneath it he shouldn't be chewing on Like a puppy pad or similar.
He doesn't chew anything, just burrow himself to sleep. What I find weird is that he only does do this in this specific hiding.

So I became afraid of him suffocating or getting too hot...

He doesn't chew anything, just burrow himself to sleep. What I find weird is that he only does do this in this specific hiding.

So I became afraid of him suffocating or getting too hot...

It's kind of like in hot weather when we give them something cold to cool themselves down with and they ignore it, but they ignore it because they don't need it.

If it's just that particular hidey, for peace of mind you could try taking it out when you're not around. He's unlikely to get into difficulties with it but if you're around you'll at least be able to help him out.

It's kind of like in hot weather when we give them something cold to cool themselves down with and they ignore it, but they ignore it because they don't need it.

If it's just that particular hidey, for peace of mind you could try taking it out when you're not around. He's unlikely to get into difficulties with it but if you're around you'll at least be able to help him out.
That's a great idea, I think I will take this hiding out when I am not home and keep an eye on him when I am at home, since he seems to love it. Today he was completely wrapped in cloth, I have no idea how he managed it, and it seemed really hard to get out or breath.

Thank you!

This is what @Claire W 's Esme did after her arrival here - there is a guinea pig under the mat in the hut.
1724349986489.webp

Esme still prefers to live an underground life - whether that is underneath a fleece tunnel (rather than in it or on it), any mats or cosies... She's not coming to any harm. I have taken out her hut though but she still has several burrowing spaces. Sometimes, I peg a soft fleece blanket to the grids so she can wrap herself in that.

Please be aware that guinea pigs actually do not naturally sleep together; they burrow into personal little nooks close to each other in the thick underground so this is actually their natural instincts at play.

My dumped Cornish family were denning in a 6 ft wide clump of pampas grass in dog walking wasteland at the centre of their net of little paths through the brambles and ivy when they were caught by @Bill & Ted and taken to a rescue.

This is what @Claire W 's Esme did after her arrival here - there is a guinea pig under the mat in the hut.
View attachment 255199

Esme still prefers to live an underground life - whether that is underneath a fleece tunnel (rather than in it or on it), any mats or cosies... She's not coming to any harm. I have taken out her hut though but she still has several burrowing spaces. Sometimes, I peg a soft fleece blanket to the grids so she can wrap herself in that.

Please be aware that guinea pigs actually do not naturally sleep together; they burrow into personal little nooks close to each other in the thick underground so this is actually their natural instincts at play.

My dumped Cornish family were denning in a 6 ft wide clump of pampas grass in dog walking wasteland at the centre of their net of little paths through the brambles and ivy when they were caught by @Bill & Ted and taken to a rescue.
My RB piggy Max used to do that with fleece in his hidey. Happy memories of him 🌈

My RB piggy Max used to do that with fleece in his hidey. Happy memories of him 🌈

I'd forgotten til you mentioned fleece in hideys, for the first few months he was here, Cam did it with the fleece offcuts I'd put on the floor of the hidey.

If he's managing to burrow under the cloth, he should be able to get out without an issue. If you're concerned, you can remove the hiding spot when you're not around.

Back