Is it a good idea to give 3 boars another level in there home?

pigglewiggles

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have made a boar trio a week ago and all is going well. They are in a 2 x 6 c&c run currently but I would like to lift it off the floor by one level (Square) so that all of their mats and things can go underneath, but also I would like to make another level for them to go up. Is making another level asking for trouble or will it be OK. I'm just aware how lucky I am that putting 3 together has worked and I don't want to ruin it.

I hate to be a spoil-sport, but how old are your three boars?
You may be better off spending the money on another cage for if/when the bond breaks during their teenage years...
People have made boar bonds work long-term though, it's just sooo rare and normally requires a lot more space than a 2×6 c and c. It would be great if your boys do permanently get along, I'll be interested to see their progress. :)

I don't know enough about bonding to answer your actual question, sorry! 🙈

A boar trio needs a lot more space than 2x6 so I would consider extending on the same level rather than upwards. Additional floors don’t count towards cage size unfortunately.

If you do it that way, use their smelly bedding in the extended part of the cage. But I would keep a close eye on them because changing their cage (even by extending) can set off dominance behaviour in pairs as well.

Bucky is 14 months, Milo is 2yrs and Buddy is 3yrs 7 months they are all quite layed back that's why I tried it as Bucky's friend died and he was on his own. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere I can make a bigger home for them hence why I wanted to go upwards. I could possibly go one more square to make it 2 x 7 but won't be able to make it more than that. I'm keeping everything crossed but they all seem nice and calm at the moment. As you can see in the pictures, I had one pair on each level my scooby died so I put bucky in with buddy and Milo but have left it how it is at the min just Incase they dont get on. 20240211_082938.webpIMG-20240211-WA0016.webp20231015_173833.webp20230928_102138.webp20240210_143450.webp

Attachments

• 20230928_102302.webp
    20230928_102302.webp
    81.5 KB · Views: 2
It’s a tricky one because while the cage isn’t really big enough for three (For three boars you are looking at needing three square metres of single level of floor space - that is around a 9x3 c&c cage), while things are calm i think I’d be inclined to not mess with territories.
Going up won’t count towards the floor space.

With any luck being out of their teens (except Bucky) will work in their favour.

Back