Is He Ill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCavySlave

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So Godfrey's a chubby piggy, 1050 grams, very sweet and rounded. But Duncan is... Last time I weighed him, 940 grams. He eats normally (will check that Godfrey isn't hogging veggies, but I don't think so, as Duncan seems the dominant piggy) and toddles round, but he feels bony! Not terrifylingly, Oh-My-God-he's-anorexic bony, just feels bony. And it's worrying. They should be seeing the vet soon for the scratching, so I'll ask then, but is he okay?

940g is ok for a boar - they come in all shapes and sizes just like us!

Is he an older boar? They get more bony as they get older

So Godfrey's a chubby piggy, 1050 grams, very sweet and rounded. But Duncan is... Last time I weighed him, 940 grams. He eats normally (will check that Godfrey isn't hogging veggies, but I don't think so, as Duncan seems the dominant piggy) and toddles round, but he feels bony! Not terrifylingly, Oh-My-God-he's-anorexic bony, just feels bony. And it's worrying. They should be seeing the vet soon for the scratching, so I'll ask then, but is he okay?

The weight is well within the acceptable range. Unless he has been losing weight recently or is still continuing to lose it, I would not worry. How old is Duncan?

Okay, wow, edit. Mum just fed them a "snack" hmmf, more like another veggie meal! So I don't know if that's done it, but he was 940g last week and is 985g this week?! Is the veggie meal anything to do with it, we weighed him just after it. Will check Godfrey's weight too...

Okay, wow, edit. Mum just fed them a "snack" hmmf, more like another veggie meal! So I don't know if that's done it, but he was 940g last week and is 985g this week?! Is the veggie meal anything to do with it, we weighed him just after it. Will check Godfrey's weight too...

A full tummy can make a difference. I would recommend to always weigh just before you feed dinner, so you have the best chance for comparable results with an empty tummy and an empty bladder.
Up to 80% of the food intake should be unlimited hay; that is the food group that you cannot control but that is often dropped first when a piggy is not quite well. Hence why regular weighing is important.

A full tummy can make a difference. I would recommend to always weigh just before you feed dinner, so you have the best chance for comparable results with an empty tummy and an empty bladder.
Up to 80% of the food intake should be unlimited hay; that is the food group that you cannot control but that is often dropped first when a piggy is not quite well. Hence why regular weighing is important.
We weigh in the evening, actually, because my sister has school. But they get lunch in the afternoon. So, I'll weigh him tomorrow a couple of times, and note it down. They both seem healthy as anything. I hope this weight stays...And, we have to make sure Godfrey doesn't get chubby...oh the panic.

We weigh in the evening, actually, because my sister has school. But they get lunch in the afternoon. So, I'll weigh him tomorrow a couple of times, and note it down. They both seem healthy as anything. I hope this weight stays...And, we have to make sure Godfrey doesn't get chubby...oh the panic.

Weight shifts over the course of a day, so it is rather confusing instead of helpful.
If you always weigh at the time after their dinner, then that is fine, too. what you are looking out for is either a sudden large weight loss (50g or more) or a slow gradual weight loss over a longer period. That is when you should see a vet.

Weight shifts over the course of a day, so it is rather confusing instead of helpful.
If you always weigh at the time after their dinner, then that is fine, too. what you are looking out for is either a sudden large weight loss (50g or more) or a slow gradual weight loss over a longer period. That is when you should see a vet.
Thank you! I've found that weekly checks are amazingly helpful- you notice tiny things you'd never see otherwise. The pigs don't enjoy it, but it brings peace of mind... When do they stop their weight growth period? The boys are about 8 months old now.

Thank you! I've found that weekly checks are amazingly helpful- you notice tiny things you'd never see otherwise. The pigs don't enjoy it, but it brings peace of mind... When do they stop their weight growth period? The boys are about 8 months old now.

Their weight is good for their age! Piggies have a fast growth phase which lasts until they are about 4-6 months old; then they have a bit of a stop and go slower growth until they are about 12-15 months old. That is when they reach adulthood. Their weight can go up a bit more when they are at the peak of their lives at 2-3 years of age. from about 4-5 years onwards, they tend to start to slowly lose condition and become bonier as they become elder citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back