• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is he drinking enough water?

ishita

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 3.5 year old boar didn't drink water in the evening. I syringe-fed him around 10ml before bed. I'm worried about his water intake as they normally drink 50 ml in a day. Should I go to the vet or is it not an emergency?

It’s not an emergency.
The need to drink comes before the need to eat so if he is eating then he is drinking and will be getting enough of what he needs.
However, as they also get their water intake from veg then it’s just possible he wasn’t as thirsty.
I have never once syringe fed water to mine just because I hadn’t seen them at the bottle for one evening.

If he has had a sustained and dramatic change from his normal amount then that is worth a vet visit but not for a potential one off.

It’s not an emergency.
The need to drink comes before the need to eat so if he is eating then he is drinking and will be getting enough of what he needs.
However, as they also get their water intake from veg then it’s just possible he wasn’t as thirsty.
I have never once syringe fed water to mine just because I hadn’t seen them at the bottle for one evening.

If he has had a sustained and dramatic change from his normal amount then that is worth a vet visit but not for a potential one off.

Thank you a ton! Ever since my last boar died, anxiety makes me jump to conclusions. Mochi's okay cause he's active so I won't hover over him😅

Back