• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is he a satin? Does he have osteodystrophy?

Inokillzombies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My little Bilbo (male) has started having trouble with one of his back legs. He is walking abnormaly and hopping around. When he is laying down, he lift his leg. It doesn't appear to be broken. He doesn't complain when I touch it. I don't know how to explain it, but the only thing I felt on his leg was as if he had a small additional pocket of skin. And he doesn't have that on the other leg. He also seems to put is leg in a weird way. Like he puts it closer to his body. When I take him in my arms I feel like something is off with him. I don't see how he could have injured his leg in his cage. Something doesn't add up.

He is a good pig. He is pretty confortable around us. But he does have a tendency to shake when he is stressed. He eats and drinks well. He weights around 1026g. He has a small body compared to my other pigs. He is approximately one year and 10 months old. I read that satin guinea pigs may develop osteodystrophy around that age. I always wondered if my Bilbo was in fact a satin because his coat shines more than any of my other guinea pigs. So I'm wondering if he is in fact a satin and if he is starting to develop osteodystrophy.

These past few days he has been laying down a lot and he moves less than usual. He still seems pretty content with his life. His companion often lays down next to him. I don't know if I should take him to the vet straight away or wait to see if it resolves on its own, if it is in fact just that he sprained his leg. He also has started to move around a bit more than before in his cage since yesterday. But he still moves less than the usual. And when he gets up he kind of wooble.

Thank you for helping me by answering. I am getting a bit stressed about this whole situation.

Attachments

• 20240404_194853.webp
    20240404_194853.webp
    119.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240330_165923.webp
    20240330_165923.webp
    107.5 KB · Views: 6
I have a (confirmed by the vet) satin pig. What you are describing sound like the things I have been advised to look out for. I personally take my boys to the vet if I have any concerns, even if it's just for pain relief.
I'll tag @Eriathwen as the satin expert.

It's very difficult to tell visually with black piggies whether they're satin or not, unfortunately, as they're naturally very shiny already. It's also possible for non satin piggies to develop osteodystrophy just by carrying the satin gene, rather than expressing it. The only way to tell really is to look at the hairs under a microscope as they are hollow in satins or to xray him to check bone density.

Tucking the leg up like in the picture is one of the first signs, along with bunny hopping when running. It sounds like it's possible that he could have osteodystrophy, he's too young for arthritis but it's also totally possible to develop it early, just not very common. But it's also possible he's sprained it or got some other soft tissue injury..one of mine ended up injuring himself in a completely flat cage with nothing to jump off of (he was blind so it was for his own safety) and he still managed it.

Ideally, it would be a good idea to have him xrayed, this will provide the answers as to whether its OD, arthritis or something else going on entirely.

My little Bilbo (male) has started having trouble with one of his back legs. He is walking abnormaly and hopping around. When he is laying down, he lift his leg. It doesn't appear to be broken. He doesn't complain when I touch it. I don't know how to explain it, but the only thing I felt on his leg was as if he had a small additional pocket of skin. And he doesn't have that on the other leg. He also seems to put is leg in a weird way. Like he puts it closer to his body. When I take him in my arms I feel like something is off with him. I don't see how he could have injured his leg in his cage. Something doesn't add up.

He is a good pig. He is pretty confortable around us. But he does have a tendency to shake when he is stressed. He eats and drinks well. He weights around 1026g. He has a small body compared to my other pigs. He is approximately one year and 10 months old. I read that satin guinea pigs may develop osteodystrophy around that age. I always wondered if my Bilbo was in fact a satin because his coat shines more than any of my other guinea pigs. So I'm wondering if he is in fact a satin and if he is starting to develop osteodystrophy.

These past few days he has been laying down a lot and he moves less than usual. He still seems pretty content with his life. His companion often lays down next to him. I don't know if I should take him to the vet straight away or wait to see if it resolves on its own, if it is in fact just that he sprained his leg. He also has started to move around a bit more than before in his cage since yesterday. But he still moves less than the usual. And when he gets up he kind of wooble.

Thank you for helping me by answering. I am getting a bit stressed about this whole situation.

Hi

I am very sorry but - irrespective of your piggy being a satin or not (which we cannot confirm from a picture without other piggies for reference) - the posture and the age are unfortunately indicactive of fibrous osteodystrophy and should be vet checked.
Unfortunately, due to bad breeding practices, satin disease has spread into the wider population (I know of cases in Australia and Germany) where the gene can skip generations to suddenly pop up in a seemingly normal family. :(

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...owned-by-members-we-cant-replace-them.121399/ (information and further links on SGPS, satin guinea pig syndrome - in the relevant entry)

I wish I had better news.

HUGS

Thank you all so much for your replies! ❤️ I have scheduled an appointment with the vet for the 10th of april. I will try to see if I can get an appointment even sooner at their other clinic. 😓 They even told me that this was considered an emergency. 🚨 I will keep you updated

Thank you all so much for your replies! ❤️ I have scheduled an appointment with the vet for the 10th of april. I will try to see if I can get an appointment even sooner at their other clinic. 😓 They even told me that this was considered an emergency. 🚨 I will keep you updated

My thoughts are with you and your gorgeous boy.

We had to let my sweet little boy go. 💔 His bones were really weak, especially in the back. He was suffering so much. There was nothing we could do to get his bones like before. And even with medication, it would have only gotten worst with time. He wouldn't have had a good life quality. It was really a hard decision and it pains me, but the best was to let him go. He died in my arms at the first injection (just to put him to sleep). I knew I made the right decision seeing how he let himself go so easily. 💔🌈

Attachments

• 20240410_164150.webp
    20240410_164150.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240410_164321.webp
    20240410_164321.webp
    36 KB · Views: 5
I'm so sorry. Try to remember that piggies live in the now and you gave him a life of happy todays.
Sleep well and popcorn high without pain over the rainbow bridge sweet Bilbo ❤️🌈

Thank you ❤️. It is so hard to not have him here besides me. 💔 I am glad that I had the time to tattoo his paw print on my arm. At least in this way, he is always with me. I'm gonna miss him so much. But like you said, at least he lived a good almost 2 years with me. 💖🌈

I’m so sorry you lost your little man. Take heart he had a wonderful life with you, filled with love and care. He will have known just how much you adored him.

Popcorn high Bilbo 🌈

So sorry you lost your handsome boy. You gave him 2 years of happy piggy days and that is a very precious thing. Sleep tight Bilbo. 🌈 ❤️

We had to let my sweet little boy go. 💔 His bones were really weak, especially in the back. He was suffering so much. There was nothing we could do to get his bones like before. And even with medication, it would have only gotten worst with time. He wouldn't have had a good life quality. It was really a hard decision and it pains me, but the best was to let him go. He died in my arms at the first injection (just to put him to sleep). I knew I made the right decision seeing how he let himself go so easily. 💔🌈

BIG HUGS

The most loving but equally most heartbreaking gift we can make a beloved one is to cut short any suffering. Your heart is in the right place and you have made absolutely the right decision but because you are such a caring owner the emotional price is high on you.

SPGS/satin syndrome is such cruel, pervasive man-made genetic illness that affects the whole body well beyond the bones. Sadly, so far Finland is the only country where satin breeding is banned even though it is now proven beyond doubt that that the genetic issue it cannot be bred out. :(

Please be kind with yourself and give yourself time to work through it and make peace with it. You have given Bilbo all the love and happiness he could wish for and a kind end when the pain got too much for him and would have led to a slow, agonising decline. Of all the many short straws in the cosmic lottery of uncurable health problems for guinea pigs, satin syndrome is the worst because it is so painful and so utterly senseless. :(

Please try to take consolation in that guinea pigs don't have concept for an average life span; they measure their lives in happy todays. As long as you give them those and a good quality of care you do not fail them in any way because you have never any control over when, what from and under which practical restraints the end will come.
Love transcends time and you can pack life time's worth of it into just a few minutes - it is always the quality that wins out over sheer quantity. You have excelled in that.

If you find you struggle with some unexpected feelings or aspects, you may find the guides via this link here helpful. We also have a Rainbow Bridge section available for those members who feel that leaving a tribute to their beloved pet at any stage during or after the end of the grieving process would be beneficial and right for them. There is no obligation, though.
Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

PS: Would you mind if I included the pictures in this thread to our information on satin disease?

So sorry for your loss, I feel your pain as we had to make the decision for our 8.5 month old Donnie. Their little characters will live with us forever! ♥️

I am so sorry that you had to make that difficult decision for Bilbo.
It was the last gift of love you could give him.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve

BIG HUGS

The most loving but equally most heartbreaking gift we can make a beloved one is to cut short any suffering. Your heart is in the right place and you have made absolutely the right decision but because you are such a caring owner the emotional price is high on you.

SPGS/satin syndrome is such cruel, pervasive man-made genetic illness that affects the whole body well beyond the bones. Sadly, so far Finland is the only country where satin breeding is banned even though it is now proven beyond doubt that that the genetic issue it cannot be bred out. :(

Please be kind with yourself and give yourself time to work through it and make peace with it. You have given Bilbo all the love and happiness he could wish for and a kind end when the pain got too much for him and would have led to a slow, agonising decline. Of all the many short straws in the cosmic lottery of uncurable health problems for guinea pigs, satin syndrome is the worst because it is so painful and so utterly senseless. :(

Please try to take consolation in that guinea pigs don't have concept for an average life span; they measure their lives in happy todays. As long as you give them those and a good quality of care you do not fail them in any way because you have never any control over when, what from and under which practical restraints the end will come.
Love transcends time and you can pack life time's worth of it into just a few minutes - it is always the quality that wins out over sheer quantity. You have excelled in that.

If you find you struggle with some unexpected feelings or aspects, you may find the guides via this link here helpful. We also have a Rainbow Bridge section available for those members who feel that leaving a tribute to their beloved pet at any stage during or after the end of the grieving process would be beneficial and right for them. There is no obligation, though.
Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

PS: Would you mind if I included the pictures in this thread to our information on satin disease?
Thank you so much ❤️. I don't mind if you put his pictures. It could teach more other people about the disease. My vet couldn't say if he was in fact a satin or carried the gene since we didn't do any test. But his condition was clearly heditary and his bones were losing their structure. So it was probably osteodystrophy. I try to give myself confort on the fact that I have given him a great life even though it was short lived. He was such a sweet boy. 💖 I am happy we were able to find him a match before all of this happened. He wasn't lonely in his pain. His cage mate was always laying next to him trying to confort him the best way he could. It was really sweet. He was loved by so many guinea pigs (I have 10 pigs, well now 9) and people. I am sure he felt all the love before he passed away. 💖🌈

THANK YOU so much for all the love you are giving me. It really means a lot to me 🌈💖. It makes me feel like I am not alone in this hard time 💕. I will spend a lot of time with the pig that lost his cage mate to make sure he is okay. And when the time is right I will try to match him with another one of my guinea pigs so he is not alone. 💖

I'm so sorry for your loss... it's the hardest decision to have to make, but sometimes the only kind thing we can do is let them go peacefully rather than live on with pain and no quality of life. ((HUGS)) to you. I'm so, so sorry.

Back