Is Fleece Good For Guinea Pigs?

Packit

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have someone telling me that fleece is bad for guinea pigs and I wanted to know if that was true.

also will it make issues for 2 piggies? the change I mean.

Fleece works well,as long as it is changed/washed frequently.has an absorbent layer underneath it.an area where you place hay.i use fleece on two cages and disposable bedding in the other two cages,just due to the amount of washing two cages seem to produce !

Can i ask those of you that have more experience, if you have fleece lining plus fleece snuggle pods / dens (with roof and small door) in an indoor run (C&C), is this enough to keep the piggies warm overnight; the temperature in the room is around 14 at the moment in the middle of the night which feels cold to me so I was wondering if I needed to add hay to their fleece den which seems to defeat the object ! additional info at the moment piggy is on his own due to bereavement so no-one to snuggle if this makes a difference.

Can i ask those of you that have more experience, if you have fleece lining plus fleece snuggle pods / dens (with roof and small door) in an indoor run (C&C), is this enough to keep the piggies warm overnight; the temperature in the room is around 14 at the moment in the middle of the night which feels cold to me so I was wondering if I needed to add hay to their fleece den which seems to defeat the object ! additional info at the moment piggy is on his own due to bereavement so no-one to snuggle if this makes a difference.
Fleece alone will not keep a piggy warm, and if the room is only 14 degrees you really need to step in and offer some help.
A cardboard box lined with newspaper and stuffed with hay with only a small entrance is one option, and you also need to look at getting some snuggle safe heat pads to add to the cage overnight.
This will create warmth for him for up to 8 hours, and if you put one under a hide then he has the choice to use it or not.

Thanks - that's what I thought yesterday so I'm glad I stepped in and added the hay option for them.

Fleece is the magic material in my experience, it is the only fabric I've ever found that guinea pigs are just not interested in chewing at all. So it's great for all sorts of other purposes as well as bedding.

It's also hard wearing, stands up to a lot of washing, and it wicks moisture through so that pee soaks into the layer underneath but still leaves them a dry surface to stand on. It's a miracle material. Our fleece liners were made for our previous guinea pigs and are still going strong 6 years later.

Back