Is dust-free woodshavings ok to use as guinea pig bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i just want to know if it was ok to use ,what is i was hopeing to do was to put a layer of woodshavings on the floor and put hay on top of that...i know sawdust is not ok to use with pigs but was woundering this stuf is it dust free

I personally wouldn't, but only because I don't like any woodshavings. Even though they say dust free I bet they're still quite dusty.

Some people on here use shavings though.

I wouldn't either, newspaper would be fine and then hay. I'm actually allergic to woodshavings I get blisters with them even if I wear gloves so they are banned from our house. Can you actually get dust free woodshavings though?

Louise
x

I use woodshavings, I think you can tell whether or not they are alright to use... I once opened a pack and that alone had me coughing and sneezing badly, so no way Id use that. However that happens very rarely, usually they are fine. O0

I mean you get good and bad batches everywhere, same with hay, you can get hay of poor quality that is even dustier than shavings!

If you are in doubt you could always use the shavings with a thick layer of hay on top - so that there is no chance of the piggies feet drying out from the shavings as some claim it does, yet the urine will sink through the hay onto the shavings, and you can take advantage of the great absorbency of the shavings.

Abnoba said:
I use woodshavings, I think you can tell whether or not they are alright to use... I once opened a pack and that alone had me coughing and sneezing badly, so no way Id use that. However that happens very rarely, usually they are fine. O0

I mean you get good and bad batches everywhere, same with hay, you can get hay of poor quality that is even dustier than shavings!

If you are in doubt you could always use the shavings with a thick layer of hay on top - so that there is no chance of the piggies feet drying out from the shavings as some claim it does, yet the urine will sink through the hay onto the shavings, and you can take advantage of the great absorbency of the shavings.

Another thing to do would be woodshavings, newspaper and then hay O0

I do this. Woodshavings then newspaper then shredded paper then hay. woodshaving then not in contact with pigs

Ive used woodshavings for years. Never had a problem. I always try and use Hunter woodshavings, find they are the best ones.

I use woodshavings on top of newspaper and then hay on top of the shavings and never once had a problem in well over 20 years

I would never use any wood based product for my piggies as one of them had severe fungal bought on by shavings in her previous home and seeing her suffer was enough for me never to chance it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back