Is Dermallay Oatmeal Conditioner Safe For Piggies, And A Few Other Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkinz

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our vet recommend it, so we have a bottle. It's labeled for horses, dogs, and cats so that's what makes me a bit nervous. Does anyone use this or have any negative, (or positive!), feedback?

It contains: water, Glycerine, Dimethylopolysiloxane, Sodium Lactate, Polysorbate 20, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine Lactate, Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Oat protein, Ceramide complex, Aloe, and Methylisothiazolinone.

Phew, that is a lot of words and I have no idea what the meaning of almost everything is! :D Hopefully I spelled everything correctly. Maybe this will be of some help?

The vet also suggested we give the piggies some human vitamin c pills. This doesn't sound like a great idea to me, so I think we might get some Oxbow vitamin C treats instead, but am I just being over nervous piggy mummy?

Oh and one more question I might as well add onto here, though it doesn't quite go with this thread, anyone have any ideas on how to make a carpet area on the floor neutral again? We will want to do some bonding and playtime there in the future, but it has already been played on by one of the piggies. I don't want to start any squabbles, but not quite sure how to make it neutral again. I doubt the vacuum cleaner removes much smells, and it can't really be washed..
:no:

Thanks in advance for any answers to my questions! :)

IMG_20170521_131120_hdr.webp

IMG_20170521_131138_hdr.webp

I can reply only about the vit C subject: Oxbow tablet contains a stabilised vit C; it means that it is supposed to remain active after some weeks/months (vit C oxidites in the air). The human tablets are just the same. But the BEST method for being sure of absorbing a real dose of vit C (L-ascorbic is considered the most effective for us humans and cavies, although some researches demonstrated that guinea pigs are able to absorb also other form of vit C) is the liquid one which is L-ascorbic just like Oxbow tablets (but tablets are in contact with the air).
Here in Italy vets suggest Cebion drops which is sold in very little dark bottles and you can be sure that the pig gets the real dose of vit C contained into any single drop (the recommended dose for guinea pigs is 30-40mg/kg and a single drop has 6mg vit C). Drops can be diluited in some drops of water and you can use a syringe. Piggies LOVE that taste (and hardly let the empty syringe go). If you like in UK you are lucky because the Cebion's bottle sold in your country is bigger and cheaper than here. If you are interested, I can send you an official research about vit C supplements in piggies... But believe me, those drops are very good.:nod:
I don't recommend the effervescent tablets for humans because you can never be sure if the pig drinks enough and if the vit C is still "active".

I can reply only about the vit C subject: Oxbow tablet contains a stabilised vit C; it means that it is supposed to remain active after some weeks/months (vit C oxidites in the air). The human tablets are just the same. But the BEST method for being sure of absorbing a real dose of vit C (L-ascorbic is considered the most effective for us humans and cavies, although some researches demonstrated that guinea pigs are able to absorb also other form of vit C) is the liquid one which is L-ascorbic just like Oxbow tablets (but tablets are in contact with the air).
Here in Italy vets suggest Cebion drops which is sold in very little dark bottles and you can be sure that the pig gets the real dose of vit C contained into any single drop (the recommended dose for guinea pigs is 30-40mg/kg and a single drop has 6mg vit C). Drops can be diluited in some drops of water and you can use a syringe. Piggies LOVE that taste (and hardly let the empty syringe go). If you like in UK you are lucky because the Cebion's bottle sold in your country is bigger and cheaper than here. If you are interested, I can send you an official research about vit C supplements in piggies... But believe me, those drops are very good.:nod:
I don't recommend the effervescent tablets for humans because you can never be sure if the pig drinks enough and if the vit C is still "active".
Thank you for the very helpful reply! I will have to look around for some of the drops you mentioned. I'd love to see the research page. :)

L-dehydroascorbic acid can substitute l-ascorbic acid as dietary vitamin C source in guinea pigs. - PubMed - NCBI
this is one of the pages on which you can read that pigs easily absorb different structures of vit C. The most common one is the L-ascorbic acid which you can buy also as a powder (and it is extremely cheap); anyway it is difficult to dose the powder because pigs need a very low dose (mg). L-ascorbic acid is the one contained also in tablets for pets and for humans; Cebion produces this L-ascorbic acid also in drops (useful for newborns). This is the bottle sold in UK (also online):
CEBION_0.1_g_1_ml_drops_30ml_oral_drops_contain_vitamin_C_ascorbic_acid_for_babies_grande.webp

But if you find at the chemist's another brand, it is just the same... Make sure that you are buying a supplement with vit C only. If you buy a different brand, you should know how much Vit C there is in one drop. Cebion's drop has 6mg for sure.

I copy-paste a part of an interesting article: I think this is the reason why vets don't trust vit C contained in pellets and in vegs (stored into fridges for days/months):

How Stable is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C does degrade and dissipate fairly quickly. The Vitamin C contained within guinea pig pellet food can degrade by about 50% in about six week’s time. Vitamin C is sensitive to light, heat, and oxygen, so you need to store it in a dark area away from heat sources. Also, try to keep it in a closed container.

How Much Vitamin C Does a Guinea Pig Need?

A guinea pig should receive 10-30 mg/kg each day. Young, nursing, or sick guinea pigs need higher levels, with a minimum of 30 mg/kg. Since Vitamin C is water-soluble, it does not get stored in the body. The body uses what it needs, and the excess is sent out of the body through the urine.
(...)
source: Vitamin C for Guinea Pigs - Abyssinian Guinea Pig Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back