Is chicory high in calcium?

Laura_Deakin

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just wondering - I have a piggy with possibly a bladder stone but we’re not too sure if it’s just a build up of calcium.. just trying to cut down on the amounts of calcium I give them every day.. is chicory high in calcium for piggies?

I have a feeling chicory is pretty high in calcium.

Pellets and water contribute most calcium to the diet so ensuring you keep pellets limited to one tablespoon per day and water filled goes a long way to reducing calcium intake.
Do also bear in mind that a diet too low in calcium can be just as bad as it knocks the balance out the other way instead. Local effects ie water calcium content means what works for one won’t necessarily work for another.

Is it 1 tablespoon per pig each day? As I have two piggies! Thanks for your help :)

Is it 1 tablespoon per pig each day? As I have two piggies! Thanks for your help :)

Yes - 1 tbsp each of whichever brand of pellet you use (but it’s recommended to use a grain free pellet for bladder prone piggies)

Last edited:
Yes - 1 tbsp each of whichever brand of pellet you use (but it’s recommended to use a grain free pellet for bladder prone piggies)
What about green beans? Are they high? Sorry for all the questions!

Back