Is Bathing Your Guinea Pig Necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gpiggie123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Just wondering.. I have two male cavies (not neutered) and i am wondering wether i should bathe them or not. It doesn't seem that important as they clean themselves, and they wouldn't get a bath in the wild! So should or shouldn't i bathe them?

I bath mine whenever they start to get a bit stinky, which isn't often, about twice a year. I don't know if boys need washing more regularly or if they need any additional cleaning so hopefully someone with boar experience can advise you there.

Guinea pigs rarely need baths but boars often need their grease gland cleaned as it can get very greasy.

Judging from your photo your boys are short haired piggies so won't need many baths at all.

Long haired guinea pigs may need more of a bath as their hair can get quite stinky if they enjoy sitting in one spot too long and get pee in their fur.

I plan on bathing all mine... Rambo and Patch are white so it's pretty obvious. 5 piggies... Gonna be hardwork

Bathing should be for a medical reason.....external parasites, ringworm, urinary infection or otherwise stinky piggie unable to clean themselves.

Most Pigs should be able to clean themselves without the need for human intervention.

HTH
x

I tend to bathe my piggies about 2 times a year. They are long haired and it gives the chance to make sure they have clean little bottoms . They were given the spring bath today in anticipation of them moving back outside when the weather heats up. Then they get an autumn bath when they move back in to the house for winter.

I tend to bathe my piggies about 2 times a year. They are long haired and it gives the chance to make sure they have clean little bottoms . They were given the spring bath today in anticipation of them moving back outside when the weather heats up. Then they get an autumn bath when they move back in to the house for winter.
Love It spring cleaning your guineas lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back