Is anyone else thoroughly fed up at the lack of quality control with pet food and supplies?

Digital-Sneeze

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry for the rant, but almost everything I've bought lately has been mediocre, or flat out not fit for purpose.

I've bought hay from nature's own that looks like it was harvested from under a tree, hay cubes from vetUK that turned up mouldy, hay cookies from Burgess Hill that were so compressed that they crumbled to dust, and this is all in the past 3 days. Pet supplies are constantly going up in price, but the quality is forever hit and miss and it's starting to feel like there's no reliable source for anything any more. I would source everything I can in person if I could, but there's so little nearby that I have to rely on online purchases, but spending large sums of money on hay and other goods is always a gamble of whether or not something ends up in the bin.

Perhaps you can try some of the other online suppliers and see how you get on.

I buy Hay cubes from Amazon and have never had a bad one - although I dont get them often, only a few times a year.

Hay being a natural product can change but my online hay purchases (I also buy meadow hay by the name from a local farm) now come from Happy Hay Co (having just changed from Haybox). The hay from Happy Hay has been fantastic so far.

Hay is always a bit hit and miss because it depends on so many factors, time of year, where its cut from, what the weather's been like etc. I've never had a really bad batch with pets at home Timothy and meadow hay mix but I always go in person to pick out the best bale. Burgess tend to be quite good quality they may have just been battered about a bit with shipping. The hay cube sounds like a shipping or storage issue too.

Like everything these days if you want quality you have to pay for it but sadly a lot of companies will happily take your money without producing quality items.

Back