Is a large herd of boys living together actually possible?

mikikkin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 7 unneutered boys. They live outdoors (in a very warm climate). They have approximately 100 square metres (over 1000 square feet), there is lots of grass and bushes, everyone has their own water bottle and there are 5 hutches with multiple fleece beds in each hutch and heaps of hay - so one hutch per bonded pair with 2 spare hutches in case they decide they want space. Obviously there is copious amounts of grass so they don't have to share or fight over that.

The boys have a bonded trio, and two bonded pairs.

I put them together in this large paddock one week ago.

When I sit quietly in the corner of the paddock and watch them they seem kinda okay - there is some chasing and rumbling but nothing that looks or sounds concerning.

When I come out with veges though there is a LOT of rumbling, a bit of chasing, lots and lots of squeaking and a tiny bit of teeth chattering every now and then. One guy in particular (Fizzgig) is rumbling a LOT and once everyone has had a little bit to eat he tends to chase everyone back out into the grassy area even if there is some food left in the bowls.

One piggy had his ear bitten on the first day - not seriously injured and it's healed already but I am a wee bit worried that the boys might continue to fight. I have read it can take two weeks for them to establish their hierarchy (it's currently been one week)

I know some people will just outright say NO you can't keep more than 2 boys together but this is a MASSIVE outdoor area not cages where space is limited and each pair/trio has their own big hutch too with additional spare hutches just in case. Has anyone else had success with keeping large herds of boys together? I have seen on youtube that people are doing it but they don't say HOW it works lol!

I believe the ideal amount needed for a bachelor group of boys is at least 10.
Are they already together in the space? Also what age are your boys?
Things like these go much smoother when teenage hormones are out of the mix.
At the end of the day it all comes down to personality and with the space provided I feel as long as they get along well personality wise, then they will hopefully be able to live in harmony.
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

So the answer to your question is yes it is possible, but it all comes down to how each piggy is in themselves and how that goes with the other boys of the group, and tons of space.
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Bonds In Trouble

I have 7 unneutered boys. They live outdoors (in a very warm climate). They have approximately 100 square metres (over 1000 square feet), there is lots of grass and bushes, everyone has their own water bottle and there are 5 hutches with multiple fleece beds in each hutch and heaps of hay - so one hutch per bonded pair with 2 spare hutches in case they decide they want space. Obviously there is copious amounts of grass so they don't have to share or fight over that.

The boys have a bonded trio, and two bonded pairs.

I put them together in this large paddock one week ago.

When I sit quietly in the corner of the paddock and watch them they seem kinda okay - there is some chasing and rumbling but nothing that looks or sounds concerning.

When I come out with veges though there is a LOT of rumbling, a bit of chasing, lots and lots of squeaking and a tiny bit of teeth chattering every now and then. One guy in particular (Fizzgig) is rumbling a LOT and once everyone has had a little bit to eat he tends to chase everyone back out into the grassy area even if there is some food left in the bowls.

One piggy had his ear bitten on the first day - not seriously injured and it's healed already but I am a wee bit worried that the boys might continue to fight. I have read it can take two weeks for them to establish their hierarchy (it's currently been one week)

I know some people will just outright say NO you can't keep more than 2 boys together but this is a MASSIVE outdoor area not cages where space is limited and each pair/trio has their own big hutch too with additional spare hutches just in case. Has anyone else had success with keeping large herds of boys together? I have seen on youtube that people are doing it but they don't say HOW it works lol!

Boar herds can work in larger numbers (yours is at the smaller end but possible), but you need to have a plan B in case it doesn't work out. Please sprinkle feed (rather than using bowls) to minimise food access dominance or have the bowls over a body length away from each other and have ideally at least one more bowl than piggies.
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Please accept that a bit to the ear counts as a serious bloody bite if intentional but as accidental if the ear is ripped by a misjudged back foot swipe. The dominance is currently on a tolerable level and consistent with establishing a boar group hierarchy during the post-intro dominance phase in which the established hierarchy is consolidated and the fine print is worked out. The full bonding process usually lasts around 2 weeks. In boar groups/pair it is generally that at the end of these two weeks the under-boars get their say as to how far they allow themselves to be pushed and there is a lot more submission squeaking. Occasionally a boar bonding can fail at this latest stage.
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Thank you both for your answers! The boys are all 12 months old except one little boy who is 3 months. I am aware the hierarchy could go through another change when the little boy goes through puberty and might try to change his positioning in the herd.

The ear injury definitely was an intentional bite so this is why I was worried but no other injuries have happened since thank goodness.

I will keep a close eye on them all, spread their vegetables out even further apart and I am already making back up plans for more paddocks in case I need to separate them.

Since my boy herd is on the smaller size would it actually work better to increase the size? I have two pregnant girls and I was intending to make any new baby boys their own seperate enclosure but would the new babies be best added to my 7 boys once they are weaned and have to leave mum?

Thanks again for the help!

Thank you both for your answers! The boys are all 12 months old except one little boy who is 3 months. I am aware the hierarchy could go through another change when the little boy goes through puberty and might try to change his positioning in the herd.

The ear injury definitely was an intentional bite so this is why I was worried but no other injuries have happened since thank goodness.

I will keep a close eye on them all, spread their vegetables out even further apart and I am already making back up plans for more paddocks in case I need to separate them.

Since my boy herd is on the smaller size would it actually work better to increase the size? I have two pregnant girls and I was intending to make any new baby boys their own seperate enclosure but would the new babies be best added to my 7 boys once they are weaned and have to leave mum?

Thanks again for the help!

It is worth trying the two baby boys with your boar herd; otherwise find them an uncle boar the formative week between weaning and teenage when they learn to master their environment and the finer points of social etiquette. In a group of any composition, they will associate themselves with a 'guardian-teacher' piggy that is willing to take them on. Gentle boars can make wonderful nursery nurses.
Babies cannot change the hierarchy but you will have to see how they work out as teenagers. Always make sure that you have a spare pen you can put your problem boar with his best mate in if needed. A group is a dynamic concept and it can sometimes take a turn to the wrong.

Journey through a Lifetime: The Ages of Guinea Pigs

Can I please ask how you have come by the pregnant sows?

Thank you, I really appreciate the advice. The boys have all settled down beautifully now and being polite, everyones seems to have found their best friend and they are even eating peacefully together. That's fantastic advice about finding the new babies a kind and gentle uncle babysitter to teach them the proper etiquette of herd behaviour, I have a few who I think would be excellent at this.

Back