Is 3ft too small

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Following on from the post yesterday by Clowney, what hutch size do people think acceptable for single males.

If they're in a 3ft hutch but have plenty of time out in a run, is that so bad? All my pigs do anyway is hide away in the house most of the time.

Just curious to what size hutches people have their boars in

Hi there, I got a little upset yesterday, but thanks to members kind comments, now feel better. My remaining three live in a 5 foot double. Two up top and one on the bottom (its not the open bottomed run type double). So, two live in 5 foot - is that bad? It equates to 2.5 foot each and I was told 3 foot was bad. Or is it different as each can, in effect, run for 5 foot if they wanted?

I agree with you though Kayjay, even if I peep through the shed window so they don't know I am there - I can't see them marathan training and doing circuits of their floor space - they are hiding in their bedrooms!

I think the size of the hutch has a lot to do with how much the piggies exercise. Normally my two boys live side by side in a 2x3 C&C each. They don't run around a huge amount but they do come out a couple of times during the day and run a few laps and do some popcorning. For the past few weeks though I've been visiting with my parents so one pig is in a 2x3 and the other is in my original store bought nero3. Gus who's in the C&C is running about as normal but Jack who's in the nero3 doesn't run any laps at all in his smaller cage, he saves it up for floor time and goes absolutely schizo.
So anyway, for me personally, I would say 3ft is a bit small but if they have a lot of floor time or an attached run to play in then I think it would be ok. All depends on how much time they're going to spend in their cage.

So, from what has been said so far and on my post yesterday, I think it is fair to say that 'the bigger picture' should be viewed. Just because I kept Skip in a 3 foot hutch does NOT make me a bad piggie owner as it was clean, Skip was fed, loved, cuddled and had plenty of floor space. Is that correct? I still feel guilty though and has put me off having any more at the moment.

clowny said:
So, from what has been said so far and on my post yesterday, I think it is fair to say that 'the bigger picture' should be viewed. Just because I kept Skip in a 3 foot hutch does NOT make me a bad piggie owner as it was clean, Skip was fed, loved, cuddled and had plenty of floor space. Is that correct? I still feel guilty though and has put me off having any more at the moment.

I really don't think you should feel guilty. I'd like a ban on 3ft hutches as so many people buy them for rabbits and stick one in at the bottom of the garden and neglect it, same for guineapigs. I do think there's a vast difference between that and someone who has a much loved pet who gets floor time, cuddles, etc - please don't be put off getting another, you have so much piggy love to give, that's obvious :)

You know that guineas need some floor time - a lot of people unfortunately don't and it's them that need some educating - they think it's OK to keep guineas in the hutch all the time. Maybe one day hutches will explain this on their packaging. And pigs might fly!

I'm all for the bigger picture on things like this. I don't think it is possible to judge how someone cares for an animal based on one measurement. You have to consider everything about the set up and routine that the animal will have.

My rabbit has a 4ft hutch which would have people up in arms and screaming that I am cruel but the door of that hutch has been shut once in his lifetime (when he was recovering from a GA and I was worried about him being so wobbly) and he has access to an entire non car garage (previous was a shed)which is carpetted and full of toys so it isn't cruel at all. But for some, the whole 'it is only 4ft' would have me listed as a terrible rabbit owner.

I too would love a ban on 3ft hutches (and 2ft as well >:() but my main concern with 3ft's is that people get them for rabbits thinking they can shut them in there 24/7 and that is OK :(

I think it would be cruel to keep a piggy permanantly in a 3ft hutch - but with plenty of out/floor time I don't think that its bad. If you think about house bunnies where usually they are kept in dog crates part of the day then have their floor time.

hils78 said:
I think it would be cruel to keep a piggy permanantly in a 3ft hutch - but with plenty of out/floor time I don't think that its bad. If you think about house bunnies where usually they are kept in dog crates part of the day then have their floor time.

Rabbits do sleep during the day though..

I dont have hutches all mine have cc runs but that doesn't mean I hate them in fact i have 2 plastic cages (I hate that word) that are used for medical reasons and quarantine only obvioulsy the bigger the better but as already said floor time is crucial to give them room to stretch out etc, the only thing I really do hate is when people keep buns or pigs in a small hutch at the bottom of the garden and generally forget them, as you obviously realise floor time is essential you haven't done any wrong, ;)

Merlin has a 100 x 60 cms (approx 3ft) cage also.

It is on wheels so he is quite high up and he can see what is going on.

He doesnt run in his cage (he sleeps mostly) but he has 4 hours of floor / cuddle time every day + more at weekends

I asked myself all kind of questions after the other thread but at the end of the day I love my piggy and I treat him like the precious gift that he is so I think its ok

Beaney said:
My rabbit has a 4ft hutch which would have people up in arms and screaming that I am cruel but the door of that hutch has been shut once in his lifetime (when he was recovering from a GA and I was worried about him being so wobbly) and he has access to an entire non car garage (previous was a shed)which is carpetted and full of toys so it isn't cruel at all. But for some, the whole 'it is only 4ft' would have me listed as a terrible rabbit owner.
Then those people are ignorant! If I were you I'd say that your rabbit has ... feet x ... feet (measurement of your garage) with an open hutch inside as his sleeping quarters. Sounds better and is the absolute truth. Plus, how many people could beat that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back