Is 3.5ftx3.5ft big enough?

Wolverine0492

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a couple of guinea pigs from a rescue, i plan on building a cage, it will be an inside cage. Is 3.5ft x 3.5ft be big enough for 2? I can go a little longer in length but not much more

Yes
The minimum for two sows is 8 square feet but 10 square feet is recommended
For two boars you need 12 square feet

But to add, as I know I mentioned on one of your other threads, as you are planning to rescue, then it is always best to check with the rescue centre first before going ahead with a cage just to be sure your plans will match with their rehoming requirements

3.5 x 3.5 = 12.25 ft sq

This means that you can look at any pairs, bonded boars, mixed pairs or sow pairs as long as this is compatible with what the rescue is asking for. If you are honest and willing to go along with improvement solutions, then this should not be a problem.

Most rescues struggle to find homes for their boar pairs because of the bad press they have - but it is all down to personality compabitibility. Over all, boars are generally happier to interact with humans and they mellow as they age and the testosterone goes down while sows tend to go the opposite way because their hormone output never stops.
Mixed pairs are the most stable of all - but it always comes down to the unique mix of personalities in the end. ;)

3.5 x 3.5 = 12.25 ft sq

This means that you can look at any pairs, bonded boars, mixed pairs or sow pairs as long as this is compatible with what the rescue is asking for. If you are honest and willing to go along with improvement solutions, then this should not be a problem.

Most rescues struggle to find homes for their boar pairs because of the bad press they have - but it is all down to personality compabitibility. Over all, boars are generally happier to interact with humans and they mellow as they age and the testosterone goes down while sows tend to go the opposite way because their hormone output never stops.
Mixed pairs are the most stable of all - but it always comes down to the unique mix of personalities in the end. ;)
I am not that fussed about the gender as the ones i have looked at have been Neutered. The rescue seems to do that for all of them

I am not that fussed about the gender as the ones i have looked at have been Neutered. The rescue seems to do that for all of them

More and more good welfare standard rescues do neuter incoming boars unless they are well bonded; the RSPCA and the Blue Cross have both a strict boar neutering policy but will not offer a dating service or refuse to match single or bereaved unneutered boars.

Back