Introducing two 6weeks old babies to my recently bereaved two years piggie (all females)

Smith

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My little saffron lost her friend ginger about a month ago now and I would love to get her some new friends, when I introduce saffron to the late ginger it all went well and I was only introducing one piggie, saffron is a shy piggie (ginger was the one in charge before she past) basically I have two 6week old females and I would like to eventually have together with saffron who is two years old, any tips would be amazing ! Thankyou in advance 😊

:wel:
I’m sorry for your loss.

This guide explains how to carry out a bonding. It’s a one time event on neutral territory which needs to be seen through to conclusion on that one day.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

However, it is well worth checking the sexes of the two babies yourself right now to be sure they are both definitely female. Not only for the prevention of pregnancy between the two of them but also to ensure there isn’t a risk of Saffron becoming pregnant by a wrongly sexed newcomer.
Also, ensure your cage is big enough for three piggies (as you’ve only had two previously), that is 180x60cm or a 2x5 c&c cage.

Last edited:
You’ve been given great advice. The other thing to consider is to quarantine them. As they are together, they will be okay for the two weeks. If it had been just one, they need company more than anything so you would have had to be bonded straight away.

Have a read of the guides in prep. Let us know how it goes 🙂

Back