Introducing sows to castrated boars - advice please!

Ru4u5

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two boars who fell out so were separated and castrated with a view to finding sows for them as companions.
I have waited almost 2 months and have now acquired two slightly older sows.
Introductions have gone well so far (in a run - both sows but only one boar at a time).
One sow is more outgoing than the other and doesn't seem to mind either boar. Both sows have been able to thwart all non-platonic attention so far, mainly hiding away.
When in the run alone (just the two sows) they also tend to hide. Possibly as they're not used to me (I got them Thursday - today is Tuesday).
My concern is how amorous the boars are towards the sows. They are relentless in their pursuit and have gone from being quiet to constantly wheeking when anyone is passing. They appear obsessed and almost hysterical!
Am I expecting too much too soon? I get the feeling it's almost inevitable that they'll get their way with the sows even though that may not be what they want.
Or am I over-thinking it?
Any advice you can give would be most welcome and appreciated.
Thank you.

I’m assuming your plan is one sow with one boar. Not both sows with one boar and then the other boar left single.
If so you need to pick which boar is going to live with one sow. And try the bonding in that pairing. There is no point in putting both sows with one boar because that won’t be their grouping. By putting them together and then separating you aren’t allowing a bonding to actually happen.

You then put the one boar and the one sow in a neutral bonding pen and leave them to it for several hours. If all goes well then you move them to their permanent cage together. They will continue their bonding for the first two weeks of the relationship.
Then do the same with the other boar and sow - bonding pen and then into their respective cage.
You can’t put them together then separate repeatedly as you interrupt everything and cause them not to bond and have to start all over again . Bonding is a one time event.

The boars are going to be thinking with their man parts, not their heads! Their reaction is going to be very strong but it will calm down over the coming weeks and months
The girls will put their respective partner in their place and will only accept mounting when they are in season. Only a submissive sow will allow mounting when not in season.

Yes, sorry for not explaining - one sow and one boar together.
Your advice is also very welcome.
I'll put one of each together and go from there.
One question - if a sow aggressively rejects the boar (no biting just wheeks a lot and a bit of chatting) would you say that's a no from the bonding point of view?

Yes, sorry for not explaining - one sow and one boar together.
Your advice is also very welcome.
I'll put one of each together and go from there.
One question - if a sow aggressively rejects the boar (no biting just wheeks a lot and a bit of chatting) would you say that's a no from the bonding point of view?

Be careful using the word aggressive! If there is nothing other than noises and wheeking then that certainly is not aggression nor rejection/failed bonding.
Aggressive rejection ie a full fight, pulling hair etc would be a failure.

The guide I linked in above explains what behaviours you are looking for when bonding.

Here is another guide which will be useful

I have two boars who fell out so were separated and castrated with a view to finding sows for them as companions.
I have waited almost 2 months and have now acquired two slightly older sows.
Introductions have gone well so far (in a run - both sows but only one boar at a time).
One sow is more outgoing than the other and doesn't seem to mind either boar. Both sows have been able to thwart all non-platonic attention so far, mainly hiding away.
When in the run alone (just the two sows) they also tend to hide. Possibly as they're not used to me (I got them Thursday - today is Tuesday).
My concern is how amorous the boars are towards the sows. They are relentless in their pursuit and have gone from being quiet to constantly wheeking when anyone is passing. They appear obsessed and almost hysterical!
Am I expecting too much too soon? I get the feeling it's almost inevitable that they'll get their way with the sows even though that may not be what they want.
Or am I over-thinking it?
Any advice you can give would be most welcome and appreciated.
Thank you.

Hi
It is perfectly normal for boars to go overboard when they meet sows for the first time.

A sow accepting being humped upon meeting implicitly accepts a boar as he more dominant leader. Dominant sows will refuse being mounted until they come into season.

Please differentiate between normal dominance behaviours which are the very heart of a hierarchical guinea pig society and agression or (more likely) fear-aggression hich can result from insecurity, being pushed too far, being trapped or from a disagreement over who comes top escalating. Dominance behaviour you have to tolerate. Bites between boars and sows are very rare; they are usually instinctive defence bites but there can be tussles - which is usually a sign of a failed bonding. Sows don't bite; their equivalent is a mouthful of painfully ripped out hairs - still, it is a cvery clear thumbs down vote.

Since one sow is ok with either boy, I would concentrate on the other and see whether she is getting on with the less dominant of your fallen-out boars - just the two of them in the bonding pen the next time. You may see whether they can make friends through the divider overnight or for a couple of days before you commit fully. That will allow your boys to get past the worst of their hormone spike.

Here is our detailed step-by-step bonding guide with videos and pictures, which takes you through all stages with the attendant behaviours (positive and negative). There are also chapters on special aspects and dynamics characteristic for various bonding scenarios , including cross gender bondings:

Having bonded a lone boar into a herd of sows I can attest to the chaos that ensued.
Micah went into a testosterone overdrive and was soon put in his place by his new wives.
It was noisy and chaotic until they all settled into a happy herd.
Hope all goes well for you.

Hi
It is perfectly normal for boars to go overboard when they meet sows for the first time.

A sow accepting being humped upon meeting implicitly accepts a boar as he more dominant leader. Dominant sows will refuse being mounted until they come into season.

Please differentiate between normal dominance behaviours which are the very heart of a hierarchical guinea pig society and agression or (more likely) fear-aggression hich can result from insecurity, being pushed too far, being trapped or from a disagreement over who comes top escalating. Dominance behaviour you have to tolerate. Bites between boars and sows are very rare; they are usually instinctive defence bites but there can be tussles - which is usually a sign of a failed bonding. Sows don't bite; their equivalent is a mouthful of painfully ripped out hairs - still, it is a cvery clear thumbs down vote.

Since one sow is ok with either boy, I would concentrate on the other and see whether she is getting on with the less dominant of your fallen-out boars - just the two of them in the bonding pen the next time. You may see whether they can make friends through the divider overnight or for a couple of days before you commit fully. That will allow your boys to get past the worst of their hormone spike.

Here is our detailed step-by-step bonding guide with videos and pictures, which takes you through all stages with the attendant behaviours (positive and negative). There are also chapters on special aspects and dynamics characteristic for various bonding scenarios , including cross gender bondings:

Thank you so much for this advice - it's been very useful! I'll post again as the bonding progresses.

Having bonded a lone boar into a herd of sows I can attest to the chaos that ensued.
Micah went into a testosterone overdrive and was soon put in his place by his new wives.
It was noisy and chaotic until they all settled into a happy herd.
Hope all goes well for you.
Thank you! That's very reassuring!

Thank you to everyone who has provided advice. Here are some pictures of the cause of my stress and joy! 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240815_161247_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20240815_161247_Chrome.webp
    58.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240815_161158_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20240815_161158_Chrome.webp
    57.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20240412-WA0002.webp
    IMG-20240412-WA0002.webp
    66 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240412_111439.webp
    20240412_111439.webp
    85.5 KB · Views: 1
Thank you so much for this advice - it's been very useful! I'll post again as the bonding progresses.

I've had plenty of 'husboars' over the years with one to up 13 wives over the years and lots and lots of successful and unsuccessful bonding attempts; especially when I started adopting stuck in rescue difficult to bond piggies for a time.

We are here for any questions. My tip: if you have several options, always start with the most difficult to bond piggy so they have the largest number of choices and work down from there. It is the sows who run the show in the guinea pig world, not the boars.

Back