Introducing Piggie To A Water Bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannahPiggie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi folks :) My boy Saga has only had a water bowl in his cage for the past 7 months due to the fact that when he had a fight with his brother and had to be moved I didn't have 2 water bottles. He has always been fine with this and drunk regularly from the bowl. However, over the past few weeks I have noticed that his chest is often wet because of the water dripping down him and his hair getting in the bowl. Also, I have been having to change the bowl multiple times a day because he would end up eating nuggets and then drinking and moving between the two and the wash back would get food in his water bowl and also make his nuggets all soggy. Plus I have changed his cage (as he never went in the big house area anyway) so that he has a hidey, but no flat / hard place to put a bowl of water. I gave him a water bottle about 3 days ago but I haven't seen him drink out of it yet, and I'm worried that he doesn't know how. His brother uses a bottle in the neighbouring cage with no problems. But as they are not together in 1 cage, I worry that he has no one to show him what to do. I don't want him getting dehydrated. I put a water bowl in twice earlier on, as I was so worried. The first time he took a quick sip and then whizzed off. The second time he didn't use it at all. What do you think? Will he work it out for himself?

It took my piggy over a week to use his new bottle when I got it, try using the bottle during lap-time and try getting him to drink from the bottle whilst your holding it (don't force - just hold it in front and make sure there's water on the spout so he can tell it's water) - we did this persistently for a week and then low and behold, he got it!
Fingers crossed x

My Hazelnut still has a little trouble using water bottles. I wish Coconut would teach Hazelnut how, as Coconut has mastered it! I think I tead something here about showing the piggy how to use it by moving the ball with your finger? Sorry I couldn't help much. Best of luck with Saga!

I've never really been through this, as both of my piggies have always drunk out of a water bottle. You could show your piggy how to use it by getting your finger wet from the water bottle, then moving it to the water bowl or something. Possibly make the two cages (depending on your set up) so that the one that is having trouble can perfectly see the other one doing it. Sorry I couldn't help very much... Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I never saw him drink from the bottle in 3 days and the water level didn't go down at all, so due to my worry I decided to pop the bowl back in. As it turns out, Saga hated the new way I'd set up his cage anyway and so I ended up having to put his old hidey with the flat roof back in, and so I could put the water bowl back there again. Oh well ... was worth a try! I guess I'll just keep cleaning it out all the time :)

Oh well. I was hoping Saga would start to use it! I think you should keep the water bottle in, just in case Saga gets tired of using the bowl. That's what I would do, it's just a suggestion. You don't have to do it! Was his way bowl near the water bottle when you put the water bottle in his cage? That MIGHT provoke more interest if he sees it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back