Introducing My Babies To The Lawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunnycharlie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Adric and Fitz seem to have settled in well. They are eating very well and are quite happy to be picked up and cuddled. At the breeders they were actually living in an outside hutch with regular trips into a pen on the grass. I have been giving them some fresh grass, which they adore.

Today I thought I would take them out onto our lawn. They were in a pen with their pigloo for cover. They were transported in a pet carrier and lifted out onto the grass. Unfortunately, they were terrified! They stood very still for some time looking around a bit but not moving or eating. After a while I moved the pigloo closer and they went inside. They were still terrified so after another 10 minutes or so, they were taken back inside.

What can I do to make them less scared?Is it just a matter of taking them out for a short time every day until it becomes familiar?

It took weeks to get my boys happy in their run, we'd have several warm dry days on the trot and almost crack it then days of rain and all the good would be undone. The thing that really helped in the end was covering most of the run with a blanket, they then came out and ate grass. Not sure if this helped because they felt exposed before or if they didn't like any breeze ruffling their fur, they are usually inside piggies so wouldn't be used to any draft.

I also found a blanket helps, but maybe try putting in as many hiding places as you can so they can explore without ever feeling too far from somewhere safe as well as the blanket!

Also try giving them a little bit longer next time to give them time to relax into being outside :)

Our piggies always go straight for the hideys when they go out into the run. They then come out after a little while so I agree, give them a decent amount of time and plenty of hiding places.

This evening they have been outside again and were brave enough to venture out and eat. I have bought a pop up puppy pen which I put up inside this morning and joined to their cage. They are naturally inquisitive and soon explored it. I thought once they were familiar with the pen, it might be less scary when it was outside. It seemed to work. I put a fleece blanket partially over the side and partially in the pen, my two girls sat inside as well! The Floofs went inside their tunnel but only took moments to poke their heads out the end and munch on the grass. We had a piggy at each end and then both piggies at one end! Success!image.webpimage.webp

So glad your piggies are enjoying grass time. Mine are getting better, but still don't like it when it's windy, hid inside their box for most of this afternoon.

my dad is building me a run for the piggies, i need to give them some grass so they don't pig out ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back