Introducing Boar To Sows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smile124x

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Apologies for the long post and I hope it's in the right thread! About a month ago I posted on here that I wanted to add a boar to my sows to make a trio, well I have been in touch with a lady who had some lone boars she wanted to rehome, she told me that she takes in unwanted pigs and she sent me some pictures, I have chosen a black coronet male who is 2 years old. I explained that I would be getting him neutered and keeping him next to my sows until the 6 week post op Mark. She offered to have him neutered for me as her vet is very experienced and she's had 12 done with him. So I've sent over the neutering fee and he has gone in this morning to be done. My concern is that I have just found out she's been using him for stud, she has a website and Facebook site advertising her studs, breeding sows and litters, now I feel duped that he isn't really a rescue pig and she's just got all she can out of him for breeding, I'm also worried that he will be hounding my sows constantly as he is used to breeding. Am I being paranoid or do you think she is genuine and my sows will be ok? I'm hoping that having them live next to each other in cages will help with the introduction.

I can't comment on whether this person is genuine . Basically, you need to think long and hard about whether you've been duped or not.

The fact that he has been used for breeding will not change the way he is with your sows .

I guess it's up to you to decide whether you want to take on a pig from someone who you feel has been less than honest about the process. The fact that he's been bred before won't make a difference as to how he behaves with your girls, though. He will be just as interested or non-interested in them regardless of his past history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back