Introducing baby guinea pig to older guinea pig

Lauraarse03

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi so I have a question I have two female guinea pigs who are about 13 month old and I want to get a 3-month-old female guinea pig to add to my pack is it going to be easy bonding her to my other two guinea pigs because she's a baby I don't want her to get hurt or pushed around

First, the girls cage looks to be a Midwest cage. They are usually 120x60cm. If that is a Midwest of those measurements then it isn’t big enough to have a third piggy in there at all so you would need a new, bigger cage before bringing home a third piggy. A Midwest only comes to the minimum size for two sows (and instead a 150x60cm is recommended size for two sows).
The cage size needed for three piggies is 180x60cm.
(The guide below shows that 150x60cm is the minimum size for three piggies but do be aware that is likely to be too small for three and could cause space related fall outs. We would always recommend a 180x60cm for three)

Cage Size Guide

In theory, the baby can’t challenge the existing hierarchy but bonding into a trio isn’t always straight forward. If the pair don’t want another sow in with them or if the outsider situation occurs.
Its never possible to say, yes it’ll be fine because until you try you don’t know whether they are going to be compatible. This is why bonding via dating is safest as you won’t then be left with a single piggy.
If you do decide to try it, you will need to have a plan b in case the bonding fails and the new piggy needs to live separately (and then needs her own new friend).

Is Tucker not neutered? The best way to create a trio is to add a neutered boar to a bonded pair of sows. Boars aren’t part of the sow hierarchy so won’t disrupt the girls and therefore having a neutered boar accepted can be easiest than bonding in another sow. If you can neuter him, have the six week wait and then bond him with them, then that may be more likely to be long term successful. You would also be able to join his cage to the girls to make it big enough.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

If you get a bigger cage, and the (neutral territory) bonding is successful (whether that’s a baby or a neutered Tucker), then those pigloo hides should be replaced. Hides with only one exit in them aren’t recommended, particularly in newly bonded groups. All hides should have two exits. You will also need as many items as there are piggies (another reason why a big cage is necessary) - so three hay piles, three bottles, three hides etc

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the info I'll definitely be buying another cage probably the Midland one again to add on and I'll definitely buy another water bottle another haystack Tucker is not neutered yet but he's going to get neutered very soon

Back