Introducing A New Piggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojobear

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi
My piggies have settled in tremendously well and ive gotten to see their amazing personalities.
My question is - i have 2 in one cage and a single one in another cage (all brothers) I'm contemplating getting the single one a buddy.
Ive read information on here but was just wondering if I'm introducing a new one to live with him should it be another boar? And is it best to get a young one or a similar age to him?

Any help advice would be much appreciated

It all depends on how old your boy is. Boys between the ages of 6 -18 months are the hardest to bond as they are at their most unsettled and hormonal as they go through puberty. Older boys (over 2) tend to be more stable and less likely to be a problem bonding. But in saying that a successful boar pairing is all about personality so it may not be the first piggy he meets that he gets on with.

I see you live in Scotland which is unfortunately a difficult area for good rescues as my usual advice would be to take your single lad boar dating at a good rescue so he can meet a few candidates under the watchful eye of someone who has experience of bonding. That way he can pick a friend that he gets on well with. If that's not an option then try and pick a friend based on age. If your boys is still young (under 2) then an older, more sedate boar is likely to be a better option. If your boy is older then you can go for either older or younger but bear in mind a baby might hit puberty at 6-18 months and become a humpy terror who your boys decides is too much hassle to be around...

Your other option would be to get him neutered and find him a sow friend (after waiting minimum 6 weeks post-op). This option has it's own downsides and you need a good vet with experience of neutering piggies to reduce the chances of complications. No surgery is without risk but it also gives you the chance to create a new pair of piggies. Cross gender bonds are likely to be more stable than boar-boar bonds too. Obviously as you already have a pair of boars (I assume un-neutered) then keeping them away from any sow is of utmost importance!

Try some of these links for some other advice.
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Illustrated Bonding Behaviours And Dynamics
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Good luck to you and your boys with whatever you choose....

Thanks for the replies - sorry ive had internet issues the last few days. I think were going to keep him alone at the moment until i sort out some other issues i have woth them x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back