Introducing a new pig

Piggiemum2

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all!
I currently have a single piggy (used to be two) and I’m looking to find him a friend.

I rescued two boars who’d been given up from their previous owner, from pets at home in January after I went in to buy dog food (typical🙄) and saw them sat there in those ridiculously small cages and couldn’t leave them. After about a month all hell broke loose which left my current piggy with a nasty couple bites, after a quick vet check over, we realised it wasn’t anything to worry about and he’s been fine since. My sister ended up taking ‘Tyson furry’ after a couple months of attempting to re-bond obviously leaving mine without a buddy.

I’m a bit cautious to re-bond with another pig after the last incident and was hoping for some advice on how to go about finding a friend. He seems perfectly content alone, but I know they’re herd animals and do better in packs. Is there a type of pig that’s more laid back, to suit the temperament of my current? Or is that not a thing🤔

Attached a pic of my little buddy Sage as well:)

Attachments

• A9D424D2-635E-480A-8634-A11739A9811D.webp
    A9D424D2-635E-480A-8634-A11739A9811D.webp
    43.3 KB · Views: 8
A rescue would be your best bet to find a little friend for him. They often offer boar dating so he can choose who he likes so comes home with a mutual friendly mate
Have a look at the recommended rescue list, There is definitely one in South Yorkshire .

:agr:
Allowing him to choose his own companion via a rescue is the way forward.
It is fantastic that you want to get him a friend too - so many people give up after a falling out, and label their piggy as 'unbondable' resigning them to a long life of loneliness.
It is wonderful that you are going to offer him the chance to find a new companion.
A rescue will help guide you and make sure he finds a suitable companion.

:agr:
Allowing him to choose his own companion via a rescue is the way forward.
It is fantastic that you want to get him a friend too - so many people give up after a falling out, and label their piggy as 'unbondable' resigning them to a long life of loneliness.
It is wonderful that you are going to offer him the chance to find a new companion.
A rescue will help guide you and make sure he finds a suitable companion.
I couldn’t bare a life without my friends or loved ones, so I’d hate to subject him to a life of that! Definitely going to reach out to a rescue

Hi all!
I currently have a single piggy (used to be two) and I’m looking to find him a friend.

I rescued two boars who’d been given up from their previous owner, from pets at home in January after I went in to buy dog food (typical🙄) and saw them sat there in those ridiculously small cages and couldn’t leave them. After about a month all hell broke loose which left my current piggy with a nasty couple bites, after a quick vet check over, we realised it wasn’t anything to worry about and he’s been fine since. My sister ended up taking ‘Tyson furry’ after a couple months of attempting to re-bond obviously leaving mine without a buddy.

I’m a bit cautious to re-bond with another pig after the last incident and was hoping for some advice on how to go about finding a friend. He seems perfectly content alone, but I know they’re herd animals and do better in packs. Is there a type of pig that’s more laid back, to suit the temperament of my current? Or is that not a thing🤔

Attached a pic of my little buddy Sage as well:)

Hi and welcome

The by far best place in your area to find a suitable new friend for Sage is Cavy Corner Rescue in Doncaster. Rescue dating means that Sage has a say in who he wants to be with and you come home only with a new companion if acceptance has happened and you also have the rescue to fall back on.
Here is more information on rescue dating: Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Our list of carefully vetted recommended good welfare standard rescues: Guinea pig forum recommended rescues (which includes the contacts for Cavy Corner)

All the best!

How old is Sage now? I assume that they were teenagers when you got them?
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Hi and welcome

The by far best place in your area to find a suitable new friend for Sage is Cavy Corner Rescue in Doncaster. Rescue dating means that Sage has a say in who he wants to be with and you come home only with a new companion if acceptance has happened and you also have the rescue to fall back on.
Here is more information on rescue dating: Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Our list of carefully vetted recommended good welfare standard rescues: Guinea pig forum recommended rescues (which includes the contacts for Cavy Corner)

All the best!

How old is Sage now? I assume that they were teenagers when you got them?
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
That’s for sure a really good way to find a buddy and after looking through the list I think that was the one that’s easiest for me to get to, not to mention they look like an amazing rescue.
I want to say he’s about 8/9 months? Possibly a year, I’m not 100% sure though as neither were pets at home.

That’s for sure a really good way to find a buddy and after looking through the list I think that was the one that’s easiest for me to get to, not to mention they look like an amazing rescue.
I want to say he’s about 8/9 months? Possibly a year, I’m not 100% sure though as neither were pets at home.

Right bang in the middle of teenage and the big teenage hormone spikes when they had their fall-out.
Cavy Corner is a great place and you and Sage will be in very safe and experienced hands there. I've been to several Cavy Corner events in years past.

Back