Introducing a new lady pig

Gemma _roberts

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I got a new lady friend for my Guinea pig today (who is also female). My Guinea pig lost her sister in august and I thought she’d really appreciate a new friend. Since getting the New Guinea pig home, she has been chasing my original pig around and chattering her teeth! She wouldn’t even let Cookie into her house earlier! I am hoping this is normal and they’re just trying to figure out who the dominant one is, but I’m just a bit concerned. Is this normal? They’re both chattering their teeth now but the new pig (Oreo) is definitely being more aggressive.

Have you bonded on neutral grounds away from original cage? Just need a big pile of hay no hides and a large area, leave them for hours. Before putting them in cage it needs to be fully cleaned from scents, new bedding etc change it around, good luck 🤞

You must ensure you bond the piggies properly first.

You put them both in a neutral territory bonding pen - somewhere the original piggy does not see as her territory. It could be the kitchen or bathroom floor or a neutral pen elsewhere. The pen needs to only contain hay and water. No houses should be in the bonding pen. You leave them in the pen for several hours for them to decide if they like each other and can form a relationship.
If all goes well in the bonding pen, you clean out the cage they are to live in and then after several hours you can move them into the cage to live together Permanently. It will take about two weeks for them to fully form Their relationship after bonding day.

If things don’t work out when they are in neutral territory and they don’t like each other, then they will need to be kept in separate cages permanently.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Thank you for your replies. They were put in an open space with a bundle of hay in the middle of the room and access to water. They seem to be getting along a lot better this morning. They slept in different houses but in the same room. I will continue to keep a close eye on them. Thank you again. 😊

Back