Introducing a 3rd sow 🐹🐹🐹

skyhu

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all we currently have two 7 month old girls who live in a 2 story chartwell (in an insulated shed).

My friend lost one of her two female pigs earlier this year and has asked us if we'd like her now lone 3 year old pig.

My heart of course says yes, but my questions are:

1. I know they're likely to get on as all females but what are the realistic risks?
2. Is the hutch big enough for 3?

2nd pic is the pig in question. (I know they shouldn't be in sawdust, they're currently not in my care)

3rd pic is my pigs

Thank you all for any advice x

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1674332884927.webp
    FB_IMG_1674332884927.webp
    69.3 KB · Views: 11
  • received_1805267876520127.webp
    received_1805267876520127.webp
    69.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221204_154421.webp
    20221204_154421.webp
    91.1 KB · Views: 11
What size is your chartwell hutch? They come in various sizes so we can't confirm whether it's big enough without knowing.

Just because they are females does not guarantee you that they are likely to get on. It is still very much down to personalities and compatibility. In fact all of my unsuccessful bonds or falling out has been down to stubborn sows.

We have several bonding guides which should help you plan out introductions in the hopes of success Behaviour, Bonding & Bereavement Guides

Ps. Guinea pigs are fine living on woodshavings, which it looks like she is currently on, as long as they are dust free. Sawdust is a very fine grind rather than larger curls like this

Sorry really thought I'd written the size. It's 5ft

Thanks you for your help :)

Unfortunately your hutch is not really big enough for three. Three need a 6ft hutch (on a single level - upper levels don’t count towards the cage size)

As Lady Kelly has said, any bond comes down to compatibility so being sows does not mean they will get on.
There is also the outsider situation to consider - three sows together means that one is likely to get left out if the two youngsters are close and well bonded.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Back