• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Intestinal Blockage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carli

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there,
I took my guinea pig to the vets this morning as i noticed he wasn't eating and seemed very weak and not himself. The vet told me that he had an intestinal blockage and gave him a pain killer along with liquid paraffin, a motility liquid and critical care food. I have been giving him the critical care every 2 hours and also giving him water but he still won't seem to eat anything, is there anything more i can do for him? i have got him snuggled up in a fleece blanket with a heat pad at the moment, really hope there is something more i can do for him :(
Any help or advice would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Carli

Hope your piggie get's better soon. Sorry, I don't know about this sort of illness. :soz:

Thank you, it's so horrible because i just don't know how to help him :( I've done everything the vet has said and more but he just won't eat any food :(

Hi, did the vet do an xray to know there is a blockage? I am worried that he has given gut motility meds when there is a supposed blockage. Did he just mean he is in stasis? If so I would recommend getting plenty of fluids into him and massaging his abdomen with anything that vibrates like an electric toothbrush. However, if there is an actual blockage then this would not be a good idea.

Please can you update your location in your profile so we can help you better.

Hi the vet didn't do an Xray he just felt around his stomach and said that there was a lump which he believed to be from a blockage. He hasn't done any poos either. He didn't mention anything about him being in stasis but i did read not to massage him in case the blockage is a sharp piece of food as this could damage the intestines further.
I took him to Spring Lodge vets in Witham, Essex

We have another member from Witham I think but I can't remember who, possibly @pelicano who may be able to recommend another vet. I really think an xray is needed though, would your own vet be agreeable to that? Then the appropriate treatment can be given depending on what is found.

It's the first time i have been to that vets, i do have another appointment with them tomorrow so hopefully an Xray will be the next step, I will have to see how he goes through the night, is there anything you can recommend to make him feel more comfortable? i have a snugglesafe to ease his pain,
Thanks for your help

The snugglesafe may help. What pain meds is he on?

well the vet gave him an injection of pain relief but hasn't given me any to take home :/ i didn't realise this till i got home

An injection is usually a higher dose anyway, was it Metacam do you know? Are you there first thing in the morning?

He didn't actually tell me, i wasn't very impressed with him to be honest he didn't seem to give me much advice, my appointment is at 10.30 tomorrow morning

That is not very good, if you are worried I would be calling them as soon as they open but if he gets worse overnight you may need to see the emergency vet.

Bless you hun, like Helen said your vet should really be aiming to make a formal diagnosis asap and shouldn't be prescribing meds based on a "it could be". Unfortunately it will be very hard for anyone to be able to give advice on how to help him if you don't know what you are dealing with. As Helen has pointed out whether it is stasis or a blockage will be the difference as to whether its recommended to massage him or not. I hope he starts feeling better soon

Thank you both for your help i really appreciate it, on the plus side he seems to like the taste of the critical care food! At least he is getting something into his system. I'm seeing a different vet tomorrow and my friend is coming with me for support, hopefully i will get some answers!

Ooh I've only just seen this - I didn't get an email notification when I was tagged (must check into that). Very much hope you've got better news. Very happy to discuss local vets with you.

hi everyone,
Thank you for all your advice and concern i really appreciate it :)
Unfortunately Sebastian didn't make it. I stayed up all through the night with him giving him medication and critical care but at 6.45am he took his last breath. It was heartbreaking and i feel like i've lost a piece of my heart.
I took him to Sunnyfields crematorium and they were really lovely there. They had a little book which you could write a message in. Just feels strange him not being here, will take some getting used to!

hi everyone,
Thank you for all your advice and concern i really appreciate it :)
Unfortunately Sebastian didn't make it. I stayed up all through the night with him giving him medication and critical care but at 6.45am he took his last breath. It was heartbreaking and i feel like i've lost a piece of my heart.
I took him to Sunnyfields crematorium and they were really lovely there. They had a little book which you could write a message in. Just feels strange him not being here, will take some getting used to!
Oh, I am so sorry. Poor boy. :bye:

I am so sorry for your loss.

Sleep well little one

RIP Sebastian
x x

I am very sorry for your loss; whether you are dealing with a blockage, gassy bloat or gut stasis (guts have stopped working), you are up against it. You can only do your very best (as you have done) and hope for the best. Sad that it wasn't to be! :(

RIP Sebastian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back