• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Interstitial cystitis - struggling to control it.

Patpig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I wanted to pop back on and add my own update to this thread.

We are starting to feel cautiously optimistic about Lucy and her IC.
With strict diet controls and daily Cystease we are slowly cutting back on her pain relief and things are looking ok.

We didn't try Cartrophen injections becasue while my vet was looking into this we made one other change to Lucy's diet - water.
Twice a day she has a lettuce leaf or handful of fresh grass quite wet with filtered water.
I just pour water from the jug onto this and shake off the excess before putting it in her cage.
It's such a simple thing but it really does seem to be helping.
It's only been a few weeks so far, but at this point I am happy to go with whatever works.
Hey an old thread I know but I'm having a few issues with my 5 year old with blood in urine. Not all the time just experienced it again after a three week break. Currently she's on metacam and a round of baytrill. The vet wanted to operate a couple of months ago but I'm glad we didn't because I feel it may be cystitis. I'm fed up because we thought we had it under control. Did Cystease work? What was the dose and how did you administer? I'm calling the vets tomorrow. If it wasn't for the blood I couldn't tell she was poorly. She shares my home office so I see her most of the days and she doesn't appear to be in any discomfort. Still wheeking eating pooping ok.

I’ve moved your post to its own new thread so you can receive ongoing support.
There are many people on here whose piggies have IC.

Cystease is administered by mixing the powder inside the capsule with water. A daily maintenance dose is given - usually one capsule - but it can be temporarily increased during a flare.

It helps coat the bladder but will take several weeks to build up.

You will find lots of threads on IC on the forum.

Hey an old thread I know but I'm having a few issues with my 5 year old with blood in urine. Not all the time just experienced it again after a three week break. Currently she's on metacam and a round of baytrill. The vet wanted to operate a couple of months ago but I'm glad we didn't because I feel it may be cystitis. I'm fed up because we thought we had it under control. Did Cystease work? What was the dose and how did you administer? I'm calling the vets tomorrow. If it wasn't for the blood I couldn't tell she was poorly. She shares my home office so I see her most of the days and she doesn't appear to be in any discomfort. Still wheeking eating pooping ok.
What did the vet want to operate on? I assume your vet also thinks something else is going on?

I have a pig with IC. And there are numerous treatments you can try. Is she squeaking when weeing?

They wanted to remove ovaries and womb. She is sprightly no outward signs of pain. No squeeking when peeing. She was out this morning zooming round the room. I am still monitoring with white bedding others I would not know anything was wrong.

They wanted to remove ovaries and womb. She is sprightly no outward signs of pain. No squeeking when peeing. She was out this morning zooming round the room. I am still monitoring with white bedding others I would not know anything was wrong.
Has she had an x-ray to check for sludge and stones? Nancy had those and showed nothing. But my Pumpkin had bleeding but no squeaking when weeing and she actually had a stone.

Yeah she's had a scan and an xray. She's a bit sludgy and they did talk about a flush. But there were no stones. I'm panicking because I'm on holiday next week. The boarder knows she's on meds and will administer.

Yeah she's had a scan and an xray. She's a bit sludgy and they did talk about a flush. But there were no stones. I'm panicking because I'm on holiday next week. The boarder knows she's on meds and will administer.
Has the vet not recommended cystease? If she has sludge it absolutely could be the sludge causing the symptoms. My Pumpkin had sludge before stones. The cystease helped both pain & blood until she got a stone.

Hi

Glucosamine is key in managing sterile/interstitial and bacterial cystitis. It is however not classed as a medication but as a food supplement.
In both infections the natural glucosamine coating of the urinary tract walls that is preventing highly corrosive urine from coming into direct contact with raw tissue that can be affected. In a sterile (i.e. non-bacterial) interstitial cystitis it is affected directly while in the case of stones or sludge, it is the scratching when are banging into the bladder walls with every pee that is the problem.
UTI is a urine infection, caused by an overgrowth of faeal bacteria in the urinary tract.

For ease of giving the glucosamine, we recommend for our UK members to try Feliway cystease cat bladder capsules. All you have to do is open the capsule, empty the powder into a small medicine bottle and mix with 2 ml of water. You can give the mix either altogether once every 24 hours or give 1 ml twice a day.

It will take some time to build up, so it is not an instant medication but it will contribute to the comfort and is crucial in the management of sterile cystitis.

You may find this link here helpful that explains the various health issues in the urinary tract: Wiebke's Guide to Pees and Stones

Here is our guide to sow health issues, including ovarian cysts and treatment options: Sow Problems 'Down Below' (Ovarian Cysts, Super-seasons, Womb Infection, Pregnancy & Mammary Tumours)

Thank you that's very useful. I'm speaking to the vet later. I'll bring it up. Our vet is exotic but I'm always surprised at how little is known when it comes to guinea pigs. Thanks again

Cystease has been really helpful for our IC pigs. I found the powder REALLY hard to mix
with water. I open the capsules and sprinkle on a cucumber which works great. SMZ TMP antibiotic also helped, infection or not, because it also helps with inflammation.

Back