insulating the shed

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
so i’ve been looking at ways to insulate the shed for my babies and just wanted to ask a few questions… number one, do all the sides and door have to be done? one side is shiplap, 2 are fence panels and the other one is made from chipboard. i’ve taken a look at Polyurethane Insulation board, i’m going to ask my boyfriend to tell me the measurements properly so i can get a rough idea on how much it’ll come too but by my calculations it looks like its quite expensive to do it this way! obviously i want whats best for my girls, but does anyone know of something that will work just the same at a slightly better price? i’ve found this on ebay, and wondering if it may be a good, cheaper option to go with, however wasn’t sure if id need to layer over it with something else too or if i could just leave it shiney and it will work? have attached pics of shiplap side, fence panel wall and the foil i’ve found on ebay. if anyone has any ideas on what to do i’d be very grateful!

Attachments

• FA98670A-9A0B-4EA9-8397-1D9124D8DA01.webp
    FA98670A-9A0B-4EA9-8397-1D9124D8DA01.webp
    87.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 82AADA63-4CDA-4510-9E45-4B4BDEFD0BC3.webp
    82AADA63-4CDA-4510-9E45-4B4BDEFD0BC3.webp
    110.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 6C793CED-6CD7-4BD1-902C-3FA1979BA823.webp
    6C793CED-6CD7-4BD1-902C-3FA1979BA823.webp
    4.8 KB · Views: 5
Yes insulate it all.
Ensure adequate ventilation as otherwise condensation can become an issue

The silver foil insulation is fine. You can just leave it shiny or you can board over it

Yes insulate it all.

The silver foil insulation is fine. You can just leave it shiny or you can board over it

fabulous! was thinking of stapling it up on the walls, should i do it over the wooden supports?

Yes insulate it all.

would i need to do it over the wooden beams? hope that makes sense! i’m trying to find pictures of how people have done it for their piggies/rabbits!

Our shed isn't insulated but I did have a moisture membrane put in, I have looked at the silver insulation but haven't got round to it because I have the luxury of electricity in our shed, so I have greenhouse heaters in the top of the hutches which we left on 24 hrs during the winter, they use very little electric, we also used heat pads and covered with blankets/duvet, as ours are used to being out they seemed quite content, certainly the hutches were warmer than the shed but they still spent time in their runs. In my opinion, I think if they are used to being outside they seem to cope with a slightly cooler temp. I think it depends on how sheltered/where your shed is positioned. Mine have always been outside and then brought into the shed for winter up until they got their own shed!

Our shed isn't insulated but I did have a moisture membrane put in, I have looked at the silver insulation but haven't got round to it because I have the luxury of electricity in our shed, so I have greenhouse heaters in the top of the hutches which we left on 24 hrs during the winter, they use very little electric, we also used heat pads and covered with blankets/duvet, as ours are used to being out they seemed quite content, certainly the hutches were warmer than the shed but they still spent time in their runs. In my opinion, I think if they are used to being outside they seem to cope with a slightly cooler temp. I think it depends on how sheltered/where your shed is positioned. Mine have always been outside and then brought into the shed for winter up until they got their own shed!

sorry just seen this! fabulous! yes i agree, my girls have always been outside no problem! but i want to make it as warm as possible for them.

Back