Inside —> Outside.

Luvx

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hey so my mom basically is saying my guinea pigs have to go outside because she doesn’t want anymore inside animals and i was wondering how i could properly take care of them especially in this heat it’s usually over 80 degrees everyday, she said i can put them under the carport. Tips needed, cage sizes needed too, because the one they have currently i think they’ll get depressed easily being outside, and advice on bugs? thanks!

hey so my mom basically is saying my guinea pigs have to go outside because she doesn’t want anymore inside animals and i was wondering how i could properly take care of them especially in this heat it’s usually over 80 degrees everyday, she said i can put them under the carport. Tips needed, cage sizes needed too, because the one they have currently i think they’ll get depressed easily being outside, and advice on bugs? thanks!

Hi

Please take the time to read the guide link below. Guinea pigs can accustom slowly to warmer temperatures but only so much. Florida is not a state where they should be kept ouside, to be honest. Sun-heated breezes well over 100 F can kill in the deepest of shades and hutches are usually 10 C/ ca. 30 F hotter inside that the temperature outside it. How snake proof is our area?
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Hi

Please take the time to read the guide link below. Guinea pigs can accustom slowly to warmer temperatures but only so much. Florida is not a state where they should be kept ouside, to be honest. Sun-heated breezes well over 100 F can kill in the deepest of shades and hutches are usually 10 C/ ca. 30 F hotter inside that the temperature outside it. How snake proof is our area?
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Hi, i forgot to update my location but i am in texas now (maybe a little better) but we have little to no snakes in my area i mean in my years of being here i’ve never seen one

Hi, i forgot to update my location but i am in texas now (maybe a little better) but we have little to no snakes in my area i mean in my years of being here i’ve never seen one

Hi

Texas is rather known for its heat extremes I am sorry to say. It is even closer to the equator than Florida.
:(

Even here in the UK with its no longer quite as mild and constant climate there is a growing shift to keeping guinea pigs indoors as outside is no longer safe due to climate change - and in the UK an official heatwave consists of 5 days in a row with a maximum over 30 C (86 F); we have broken a record 40 C (104 F) only in about 3 places so far - all in the last 3 summers.

I am very sorry that you are in an unenviable position but guinea pigs have evolved living in tunnels in thick undergrowth that provide a fairly stable temperature both in winters and summers. They are coming out to feed around dawn and dusk when temperatures are the least extreme. They do not have the most efficient body temperature regulation. If you feel warm, your piggies are likely already overheating.

Oh no. I’m so sorry your mum is making this decision. I really hope you can convince her to let them stay inside. 🤞🏻

I'm sorry your mum doesn’t want them inside anymore.

I’m in the UK and my piggies live outside in my shed. I have to move mine inside most summers due to the heat - it’s getting too hard to keep them cool and safe outside once it gets to 25 degrees (77 degrees F). My area was one of the ones which got to just over 40 degrees (104) a couple of summers ago - it was terrifying.

Back