Inside, outside, back in again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Last week I moved the guinea pigs to their outside hutch. We were having decorating done and they couldn't stay in as we needed the space. They seem happy enough in their hutch at the moment - it has a cover, plenty of hay and a heatpad at night.

Now I see that snow is forecast for the weekend. Should I bring them in again for a week or so, then back out again, or leave them outside as they are used to the cold now.

My hubby has threatened divorce if they come back in the house again, he hates animals, so that's a consideration too. It's a close call between him and the piggies if it came to a straight choice, but piggies can't change lightbulbs or put the rubbish out, so I'd kind of like to keep him ;D

Maybe I should just find them a new home as they cause so many rows?

Hi Liz,

I worry about the change in temps, bringing them in and putting them out can upset there systems but with snow I would bring them in if you can.

Only you can decide if rehoming is for the best. Where abouts are you? It's hard when you family aren't interested. My hubby is as mad as me about pigs but my mum etc think I'm crazy for doing all I do but I enjoy it.

Good luck deciding, maybe hubby should meet you half way at least. :)

Louise
x

I know the change in temp isn't great, and I had intended to leave them outside now until autumn.

I can't decide what's more dangerous for them, the change in temp by bringing them in, or the cold if I leave them out.

its a hard one!
we had one of our departed piggies get a chest infection due to bringing in and out over winter
unless you are getting temperatures well below freezing or lots of cold and wind i'd wrap them up at night old duvets etc and keep them out doors well sheltered from cold winds
Ron x

Personally I think once you've made the step and moved them outside then it's best to keep them outside. As has already been said they will have accustomed to the cooler temperature already and bringing them inside could spark off respiratory problems. I'd leave them be unless anything major happens. And it is the first day of Spring next week - yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back