Inside cage liner?

Newtothis09

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi

I am bringing our piggies inside for the winter, what is the best inside cage and liner to use? For anyone who also keeps them inside do they tend to make the house or room smell even if they are cleaned out regularly?
Thankyou

The best cage depends very much on your situation.
If you don’t have other animals in the house then a c&c cage is good choice.
For two boys you need a 5x2 c&c which measures 180x70-77cm.

A commercial cage can be best if you have dogs or cats in the house (although it’s always advisable to ensure the piggies are kept well out of the way of dogs or cats) as they have a lid so provide a bit more protection.
However, commercial cages don’t really go big enough for two boys. The biggest cage is a ferplast plaza 160 which measures 160x60cm. While it may be ok for some boar pairs (older pairs for example), young/teens may find its smaller size a challenge and risk tension in their bond.

Whatever cage you choose, it’s a good idea to either use the soiled bedding from their current cage or at least rub the new bedding with the old bedding, to transfer scent to the new cage.
Piggies need to reestablish their relationship in any new environment (you will see renewed rounds of dominance) so by transferring scent, it can make the transition a bit easier on them (see ‘boarsonalising’ section in the boar guide below).

You are going to smell something particularly as you have boys. A musky teenage boy smell as they scent mark.
Wet hay tends to smell quite a bit to ensuring wet areas of hay are removed daily is important.
However, do be aware that over-cleaning is counterproductive if you do notice smells. If you clean out the whole cage in one go or clean too often, then you risk making it worse - the boys will scent mark even more if you clean too much.
It can be best to get two smaller fleece liners for your cage - half and half - so that you can change just one half out at a time and then a couple of days later change the other half. It means there is always somewhere in the cage that still carries familiar scent and can ease their need to scent mark.

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages
Members recommended UK and US sites for fleece cage liners and accessories

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

I have 2 boars in a 3 by 5 c&c over 2 floors. I use these from Amazon and also put bath mats on top for extra comfort and as pee pads. 7 nice hideys and they both sleep in the open 🙄. I change bath mats every day or two after checking them. I change the fleece liners once a week, top one day then bottom 3/4 days later. I recomend a silicone sweeping brush to get the hay off. I wash on a jeans setting (extra water) and use white vinegar in the fabric conditioner compartment. Personally, apart from the odd day when one of the beastie boys is being a bit frisky (teenagers) I don't get any smell. Visitors agree. It does cost a lot to get 2 full sets of fleeces but I wouldn't go back to disposable bedding.Screenshot_2023-10-26-16-36-13-46_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.webpScreenshot_2023-10-26-16-34-24-38_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.webp

I have 2 boars in a 3 by 5 c&c over 2 floors. I use these from Amazon and also put bath mats on top for extra comfort and as pee pads. 7 nice hideys and they both sleep in the open 🙄. I change bath mats every day or two after checking them. I change the fleece liners once a week, top one day then bottom 3/4 days later. I recomend a silicone sweeping brush to get the hay off. I wash on a jeans setting (extra water) and use white vinegar in the fabric conditioner compartment. Personally, apart from the odd day when one of the beastie boys is being a bit frisky (teenagers) I don't get any smell. Visitors agree. It does cost a lot to get 2 full sets of fleeces but I wouldn't go back to disposable bedding.View attachment 234495View attachment 234496
Thankyou I had been looking at those on amazon so good to know they are fit for purpose.

Back