Inside cage for 2 boars

linzee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am looking at moving our two boys indoors for the winter. Are there any commercial cages available in the UK that are suitable other than the Ferplast Rabbit 140?

I am also considering a C&C cage but am worried about the neighbourhood cat or fox wandering in and am not sure sure how sturdy the lids are. Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

When it comes to commercial cages your only real option for a boar pair is the ferplast plaza 160 as it is the only one that meets minimum size for two (boars should have a minimum of 150x60cm so the ferplast 140 isn’t really big enough anyway) . The ideal size for two boars is 180cm and there aren’t any commercial cages that size. Therefore a c&c is ideal for a boar pair. They would ideally need a 5x2 which measures 180x77cm.
A grid lid is fairly sturdy if made and cable tied well including support bars.

Do you have your doors and windows open a lot in winter for a cat/fox to wander in?

Yes back door may be open on milder days and piggies will be right next to the door

Ok - I didn't realise the 140 was wider until you sent the link, but when you convert the measurements for both cages, they are actually exactly the same size - they both cover 10 square feet which is the smallest size two boars should be kept in.

How old are your piggies?

I have a ferplast 160 as a spare/emergency cage. I have also have a c&c as a spare cage and the c&c gets used when my boys are going to be indoors for a longer period. My two boars are ok in the ferplast 160 now they are older, but as youngsters/teenagers, 10 square feet wasn't big enough for them.

Ok thanks.

This is driving me nuts trying to work out the best thing to do. Can a c&c cage be lifted up from underneath?

Ok thanks.

This is driving me nuts trying to work out the best thing to do. Can a c&c cage be lifted up from underneath?

I can imagine - its the balance between the space boars need and security.

Yes a c&c could be lifted up. It has no base so is vulnerable if built as standard. But, there are ways around that. You can use extra grids and make a floor for it (normally you dont put grids underneath), then put the correx on top as well as using a lid, so it would be fully grid enclosed. You cable tie all the grids together for added security. A 5x2 c&c covers 14 square feet.

This measures 160x80cm. This converts to 13 square feet so would be absolutely perfect for them size wise (12 square feet is the recommended size for a boar pair). It's also got the security in its favour.

Given you need the extra security, then this cage does look good. Possibly a little more expensive than a c&c (and I'm basing that off the candcguineapigcages website prices), but its likely to be safer with a commercial cage, then this would be the one I'd go for as it does also cover more floor space which is so important for boar pairs.

Last edited:
Thanks. Only problem is I'm not sure we've got the space for it! Anyway, thanks, this gives me loads to think about.

Oh and in answer to your question about how old they are, one is definitely about 2 and a half. The other was a rescue pig and we were told he was about 2 to 2 1/2.

In my last house the piggy's c and c was a few metres from the back door which I left open. I felt the grid lid was secure, the neighbour's cat wandered in sometimes. I also feel having it on a grid stand makes it a little safer.

I had a pair of boars in a pair of Midwest cages stacked together. It's needed to have the two, because one alone isn't big enough, but the Midwest is designed to link together so there's no complicated bits. Each one is 2ftx4ft, and they can be put together in a 4x4 square or in an L shape if you want to put it in a corner instead.

They also come with a decent canvas lining for the floor so you don't need to get something like Correx, and you can buy a lid for each Midwest as well. It's not for everyone but it worked well for me.

In my last house the piggy's c and c was a few metres from the back door which I left open. I felt the grid lid was secure, the neighbour's cat wandered in sometimes. I also feel having it on a grid stand makes it a little safer.
Thanks, that's reassuring!

I had a pair of boars in a pair of Midwest cages stacked together. It's needed to have the two, because one alone isn't big enough, but the Midwest is designed to link together so there's no complicated bits. Each one is 2ftx4ft, and they can be put together in a 4x4 square or in an L shape if you want to put it in a corner instead.

They also come with a decent canvas lining for the floor so you don't need to get something like Correx, and you can buy a lid for each Midwest as well. It's not for everyone but it worked well for me.
Thanks. I like this idea but unfortunately we don't have enough space for either 2x8 feet or 4x4.

Thanks. I like this idea but unfortunately we don't have enough space for either 2x8 feet or 4x4.

It's not actually 2x8. It's two 2x4s in an L shape, so along one wall you'd have 2x4, and the other corner wall would get 2x6.

(edit: you're not getting more space that way, it's just how it fits on the wall)

The space I've got would be perfect for 4x2 c&c (140cm x 70cm). I could go a little wider maybe but no longer. I'm also thinking about a 3x3 c&c which would give a bit more space (especially as you could add a 1x3 loft instead of a 1x2 loft). But that would need to be custom made and I'm not sure if it would be too wide anyway.

Thanks. Lots to think about!

Wider is really good for adding space. And you can overlap grids and make your own base so you can half sized cages. Is 3x4 possible? When my four piggies become three, I'll probably have 4 x 4, but considering 3.5 x 4 to reclaim some lounge.

I think a 2x4 is 150x77cm usually when connectors are used (measurements taken from the candcguineapigcages website). You can make it smaller by just cable tying it and not using connectors

3 grids wide is usually around 112cm ish

Adding a loft to a cage 3 wide is possible, but it just needs a long support bar underneath to hold the loft up (the grids won’t self support securely in a 3 wide cage)

Do you have the room to make an L shape cage? Or make it wider as you said? There are some bars you can buy to support lofts. I used two pieces of wood to support the upper cage on my 2x5 setup.

Back