Insects

Pip79

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, not sure this is the right section. Tonight when I cleaned the piggies outdoor hutch I came across alot of the insects in the picture. Does anyone else have similar issues? Does anyone have any advice? Are the piggies safe?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20210702_212130.webp
    20210702_212130.webp
    5.2 KB · Views: 12
It's a bit blurry but I think it may be an earwig. I had an earwig invasion for 2 years running when my piggies were outside. I've found the thread for you.
Earwig hutch invasion for the second year running!
Every week on clean out day, after I had taken out all the soiled material, I hoovered out the hutch.
Earwig eggs look like tiny black dots and you must get rid of every single one. They will be everywhere so make sure you get every nook and cranny. The only thing I found that killed the eggs (and was safe for piggies) was F10 which I sprayed around liberally after I had hoovered. It took about 6 weeks of cleaning this way to get rid of the earwigs. Good luck.

I agree that looks like an earwig. My childhood outdoor guinea pigs had earwigs in their cage. They didn't seem to come to harm in the short term, so I'm sure your piggies are safe. Good luck with getting rid of them.

It's a bit blurry but I think it may be an earwig. I had an earwig invasion for 2 years running when my piggies were outside. I've found the thread for you.
Earwig hutch invasion for the second year running!
Every week on clean out day, after I had taken out all the soiled material, I hoovered out the hutch.
Earwig eggs look like tiny black dots and you must get rid of every single one. They will be everywhere so make sure you get every nook and cranny. The only thing I found that killed the eggs (and was safe for piggies) was F10 which I sprayed around liberally after I had hoovered. It took about 6 weeks of cleaning this way to get rid of the earwigs. Good luck.
Thank you, I'll give it a go. I've been spot cleaning every other day as we had ants a few weeks ago and now these have taken their place.

Back