• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

injured pig help plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i have two of my boars separated as they fight and the fence that separates them got loose and i now have a pig who is scred and has a bite wound on his back... it was bleeding quite bad.
what shall i do, ive bathed it and it wouldnt need stitching, can i use germoline on it or dettol, poor baby is terrified,

I think bathing in salt water would be best and would flush it out. Just watch it to see if it gets infected - if it does will probably need antibiotics. I don't know if it's ok to use germolene etc. but hopefully someone else here will know!

Has the bleeding stopped? It usually looks worse than it it!

I would use some cool boiled water with salt in and then get some cream from gorgeous guineas.

yes i shoulld have that from GG any way shouldnt i! well I'm going to try the boiled salty water, he was terrified, i re organsied thepen so they cant get at him again, then I'm going to get him a new cage

Unless the wound is showing signs of infection it is best not to bathe.Calendula ointment is very good.This is available from health food stores and some High Street chemists.

oops well i bathed it to get all the blood off his yellow fur :'(.
I have put him in a HUGE cardboard box now with his bed and hay and water bottle, i will have to get him either a new cage to live alone or have his nutered and see if he likes his sisters but i dont really want to....
maybe i should get another cage and take him to the shelter to pick a new friend (hubby going to not like that, i already have 12) but i cant stand alone pigs it sad

MaryH is it possible in an emergency to used diluted hydrogen peroxide? I think I read it some where.

I thought I had read it some where, I always used neat HP on my piercings, when they were 1st done.

Just read what happened! Your poor little piggy! I'm glad he's feeling better. What about putting a little antibiotic cream in the wound? I really do hope he's OK!

HonkeysMummy said:
MaryH is it possible in an emergency to used diluted hydrogen peroxide? I think I read it some where.
[/q
uot
No do not use this on a gp.

We're hoping little Badger's wound will heal up quickly gentle hugs and kisses from me and Duke sends manly piggie kisses as well :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

and the plot thickens!! Bobby Fuzz (who attacked badger) was always the tiny one , the "runt" of the litter but he is now same size as the others and has turned really fiesty, he attacked charlie his bessie mate and brother last night after badger incident! it was not as bad, no blood this time, so iput charlie and badger back together and put bobby in the box! .... is this just teenage antics? they are all 3 mths old or is it cos the girls are about, but they are out of sight.
Boars honistly! all my girlies are grand with each other but the boys! typical men! (sorry guys!)

yeah boars do get a bit macho! ::) well it could just be a phase, or not :-\ sorry thats helpful! ;D ::) all i can suggest is separate the ones that are fighting and re-introduce in a while :-\

hoping you get your babies sorted soon maybe put BF in a seperate box and see if he calms down and put badger, charlie and his brother together. maybe some time out would help BF. maybe he is making up for when he was the runt and everyone picked on him. good luck. hugs and cuddles to you and your babies. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: naughty BF. :police:
make sure badger's wound doesn't get infected, just keep an eye on it. good luck. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: maybe try a cooling rack or similar and use cable ties to seperate the piggies and half the cage. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

yeah going to tie up the devider so it would take a bomb to relase it as opposed to a naughty piggy head butt!
I really appreciate all the support, I'm leaning as i go, went from 5 pigs to 12 real quick and really want to do my best by them. :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back