• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Inhalation of hay dust!

PapaTa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Some days ago I wrote that I ate accidentally hay.
Through internet search, I found out that I didn't really ate hay but I inhale from my mount a quantity of hay dust.
My problem is that I am pregnant.
I don't have any allergy symptoms or coughing.
I am totally ok.
My question is , can this cause problem to my health without symptoms?

Thank you for the Help!

If it had any adverse effects, you would have experienced them by now.

Some days ago I wrote that I ate accidentally hay.
Through internet search, I found out that I didn't really ate hay but I inhale from my mount a quantity of hay dust.
My problem is that I am pregnant.
I don't have any allergy symptoms or coughing.
I am totally ok.
My question is , can this cause problem to my health without symptoms?

Thank you for the Help!

Hi

A healthy immune system in pregnant women is strong enough to deal with any problem unless you have been specifically warned by your doctor/pregnancy support team to take extra precautions.

In the case that you suffer from debilitating anxiety or obsessessive, persistent worrying or have been diagnosed with an immuno-suppressive health problem:
- Always wash our hands thoroughly before and after handling guinea pigs and any of their stuff - this is simple good hygiene advice for all owners.
- If your pregnancy support team or your doctor advises it, then please wear a Covid mask when handling hay, cleaning the cage and cuddling or grooming your guinea pigs. Do not kiss your guinea pigs.
Also do it if you feel that it helps to allay any obsessive worrying of yours. Not because you need it but for your own peace of mind. :)
- Find somebody else who can give your piggies their hay and clean the cage for you.
This advice goes for all pets.

This forum is nearly 20 years old. In all this time, we have never heard of any problems from any of the pregnant women or mothers who had guinea pigs during pregnancy. Nor have we heard anything from other places. We currently have over 40,000 registered members and have had many more over the years.
@Lady Kelly

Nothing is ever totally germ-free but the risk of transmission is very, very low. Please do not worry but be conscious of your daily hygiene. I always wash my hands before and after handling and feeding hay as a matter of routine commonsense hygiene.

For anybody looking for more information:

I had a group of 3-4 piggies during my first successful pregnancy (can't remember whether I had already lost the oldest one or not when I got pregnant as it was back in 2019). I was the sole carer in terms of cleaning them out, giving them hay etc though my partner would occasionally sort out their water, hay and veggies for the day. I never had any issues with it. I'm not familiar with the care you get in Germany but here we can access a health visitor and midwife during pregnancy and the health visitor access continues during babies early years. They spend a lot of time reassuring parents to be that things are ok but if you do have similar I would reach out and discuss with them. Having a baby can be a very anxious time, I certainly did not get to enjoy pregnancy at all, so make use of any support available to you for your own peace of mind

I had a group of 3-4 piggies during my first successful pregnancy (can't remember whether I had already lost the oldest cavy or not when I got pregnant as it was back in 2019). I was the sole carer in terms of cleaning them out, giving them hay etc though my partner would occasionally sort out their water, hay and veggies for the day. I never had any issues with it. I'm not familiar with the care you get in Germany but here we can access a health visitor and midwife during pregnancy and the health visitor access continues during babies early years. They spend a lot of time reassuring parents to be that things are ok but if you do have similar I would reach out and discuss with them. Having a baby can be a very anxious time, I certainly did not get to enjoy pregnancy at all, so make use of any support available to you for your own peace of mind

Thank you for posting. I hope that a first-hand experience from somebody who went through two pregnancies while looking after guinea pigs will help.

Thank you for posting. I hope that a first-hand experience from somebody who went through two pregnancies while looking after guinea pigs will help.

Technically just the one. We rehomed Poppy when Jessica was around 18 months old. Wasn't expecting the others to develop health problems and pass so young. It's been a long time without them

Back